what was your first call

I have to go back, way back. In our city, you could be 18 y/o to attend but had to be 21 y/o to drive the ambulance. I was 19 y/o had my standard St. John's first aid ticket and starting my first night shift with an older partner in a 10 yeer old 1955 yes 1955 Cadillac ambulance. We were called to a strippers bar where the stripper had fallen off the stage and fractured her ankle. Fortunately it was at the end of her shift so we did not have to worry about removing any clothing as there was none. It was when we put her in the back of the ambulance that I learned that it is always best to be the senior person as I became the driver at that moment.

It was when we put her in the back of the ambulance that I learned that it is always best to be the senior person as I became the driver at that moment.

Ahh yes, seniority sucks.....when you don't have it!

My first call was to a woman complaining of chest pain 10/10 x4-6 hours. NTG with no relief. Closest appropriate facility was on 'diversion' to cardiac. I opted to override the diversion due to patient condition. On arrival, patient was placed on a 12 lead and noted to be in 'active infarct'. The nurses were extremely mad at me for showing up, but when they saw what was on the monitor, they suddenly changed their tune!

Admittedly, I don't know what can be done for a patient to stop the infarction, but I'm thinking that by overriding the diversion, I did something 'good'?

I opted to override the diversion due to patient condition. On arrival, patient was placed on a 12 lead and noted to be in 'active infarct'. The nurses were extremely mad at me for showing up, but when they saw what was on the monitor, they suddenly changed their tune!

Admittedly, I don't know what can be done for a patient to stop the infarction, but I'm thinking that by overriding the diversion, I did something 'good'?

As described by your posting, I think our protocols are the same:

When a patient is in extremis, you will transport the patient to the nearest appropriate ER, even if the hospital is on diversion to that category.
Exact wording notwithstanding, I think everyone on the site has the same thing!

Well, technically, I'm still waiting for my "first call" that's not a ride-along. But, I can tell you about my first real patient experience (not sick-call) as a medic. It also happened to be my first major contact, first EPW encounter, first shots fired (personally), first field surgery, and first medevac. And all in one day! :thumbsup:

0712 August 6, 2004 - An Najaf cemetery

- Mild shrapnel wounds to my Sgt's thigh from a blown-up truck. Removed a chunk of quarter-panel, stitched it up and gave him a packet of Ranger Candy.

- GSW to the shoulder, open head wound and possible spinal. Evac'd 3hrs later from a rooftop 1/2 mile away.

- Hostile Haji with GSW's to the arm and leg. He'd previously been aiming an RPG at us and was now demanding water and drugs.

All in all, not a bad day.

As described by your posting, I think our protocols are the same: Exact wording notwithstanding, I think everyone on the site has the same thing!

Truth be told, I never got a chance to look at the protocols at that point. I knew (based on C/C, S/S, Vx and Hx); the patient was in 'a bad way', and there was a good possibility that she wouldn't have made the 30 minute trip to the hospital of choice.

There's a big emphasis put on the patient expressing 'feelings of impending doom', but rarely do they address the situation of when we walk into the room and get smacked in the face with it!

I am wondering what your first call that you when on (not ride alongs)

September 10th, 1979: EMT-Basic transferring 93 y/o female nursing home patient from hospital back to nursing home, post illness. Also first call for partner in back, Ambulance Director driving. Transfer of 40 miles. Patient slept for 90% of trip. Both of us nervous as heck, Director listening to AM/FM. Routine transfer except I got to drive back to base. All went well except I drove down the only one way street in this small burg the wrong way. Never did live this down from the director.

I know it says, not ride alongs. But...

My first pt encounter was a 40 yo m with difficulty breathing. He had also had tuberculosis when he was younger. So I got to be fitted for an annoying Hepa mask that fogged up my glasses. We transported him to the hospital. And found out later that day, when we were back at the hospital that his heart had completely shifted to the right side of his chest. I thought that was neat. Well, not for him.

My 1st call was a code for a 46-yr old man found face down in a bathroom of his place of employment. We worked him for 30-minutes until his co-worker informed S.C. that he had been there for over an hour before 9-1-1 was activated. His past medical history included several MI's and he also had 3 stints in place, according to his ex-wife.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.