EMT working in ER: Does anyone know process and rules?

I too love my job as an ED Tech, but my scope of practice at my ED is huge compared to others, I've heard, so the amount one is allowed to do would probably set the tone for how happy a person could be working in an ED long term. I've found the politics in it play a huge role too, so if you are a person with thin skin, it can be a tough environment, as some nurses will continually remind you of your position below them.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found the politics in it play a huge role too, so if you are a person with thin skin, it can be a tough environment, as some nurses will continually remind you of your position below them.

Then I remind them how they would run there asses of if it would not be for the tech's! :P

Then I remind them how they would run there asses of if it would not be for the tech's! :P

Then they remind you that you could easily be replaced by a CNA, who whines a lot less, for less money. :lol:

Or an endless stream of nursing/emt/medic students who they can have do it for free :)

Remember, the bigger the smartass the quicker that smartass can be replaced.

You have to remember you are not irreplaceable.

:lol: I am not bragging but I am a bit older than most of the CNA.s and my knowledge and work ethics are considerably higher. The nursing supervisors knows that. (i.e. I stock the rooms, don’t hide when the med units call in and report there is a SOB two min out, and I do what is ask of me.) I don’t think I will have any worries about being replaced.

But thanks for being concerned. :lol:

• 4 months later...

I worked for 6 months in an E.R. as an EMT. I worked under our medical director tho. I did all the patient assessments, helped with procedures (did some of them *cough*)but my medical director was always in the same room and/or right next to me.

Exellent experience and would strongly suggest it if you get the chance.

• 2 months later...

I beg to differ with EMT's and Techs that consider vital signs a "menial" task. These are not just meaningless numbers that you write down and hand to a nurse. They are central to assessing your patient, and recognizing abnormal vitals can be paramount to your patients care. You also have the opportunity (actually the responsibility) to begin forming an initial impression of your patient as you begin vitals. You get to learn what "sick" looks like before you even put on a BP cuff. Tachypnea,diaphoresis, other skin conditions such as pallor or cyanosis, pupillary response are just some of the myriad thing you can recognize in the first seconds with a patient. These lead you to investigate further in keeping with the patients cheif complaint.

It is also a time to begin good history taking, as this also provides important information about what the current problem is. Not just past medical history, but HPI (history of present illness/injury). Medication lists are important, and can greatly assist you with both past medical history and HPI, especially if you are dealing with a poor historian or there is a language barrier. All of this can be accomplished within minutes, and is of the utmost importance in where a physician will begin looking and testing him/her self.

Also, this is the time to begin to gain a rapport with your patient. You can gain or loose trust very quickly depending on how you "size up" your patient. Some patients respond well to humor, others to a serious professional demeanor, etc., etc. So INMHO taking vital signs is one of the most important tasks in patient care, and ALWAYS involves more than just recording random numbers.

OOOOOPS!!!!! I think I just posted in the wrong thread. But there was a thread here somewhere in this forum where someone suggested that they got to take vitals and the only time they got to do "real" EMT work was when a code came in. I've seen that complaint before, and that's what my previous post was addressing!

I must have this special gift for inspiring confidence when I don't even know which thread I'm posting in, huh?!......Sorry

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.