Potassium/Sodium/Electrolytes

iMac

I need you're guys's help. Here at the office we are trying to show and explain to some parents how important the above are for general homeostasis. I have spent 2.5 hours doing research online about the most common problems when there is a potassium or sodium imbalance but really seeing now how much relation is actually present between all minerals.

I am finding a lot of scientific information (WebMD,eMedicine,PubMed,Medscape,Wikipedia) but also trying to find information (lay person version this time) that explains what type of problems if you have to much/lack of/imbalance of minerals in the body.

There is sooo much info available but requesting your help if you know of a good site with this type of information I could add to my research.

Thanks in advance.

Comanche, why not take what we know about electrolytes and develop a lay person friendly course of instruction. We need not talk about the sodium potassium ATPase pump to educate people. Look at the general areas where these electrolytes are important. "Potassium is important for proper function of the heart. Here are common problems that lead to potassium imbalance and here are basic things for you as a parent to look for." I bet you could make a great presentation translating your knowledge into a parent friendly presentation. In addition, the ability to translate medicine into every day terms will help you take better care of your patients and possibly help alleviate anxiety and fear by helping people understand their problem.

Take care,

chbare,

I need you're guys's help. Here at the office we are trying to show and explain to some parents how important the above are for general homeostasis. I have spent 2.5 hours doing research online about the most common problems when there is a potassium or sodium imbalance but really seeing now how much relation is actually present between all minerals.

I am finding a lot of scientific information (WebMD,eMedicine,PubMed,Medscape,Wikipedia) but also trying to find information (lay person version this time) that explains what type of problems if you have to much/lack of/imbalance of minerals in the body.

There is sooo much info available but requesting your help if you know of a good site with this type of information I could add to my research.

Thanks in advance.

Potassium and sodium are the main cations in cellular electropotentiation...so..it basically runs the electrical system of the heart. Look up the sodium-potassium pump and you should get something. You can also look for hyperkalemia (and its effects on cardiac depolarization/repolarization "hyperkalemic T-waves"), hypokalemia (less problematic than having too much).

Sodium applies above as well, but not to the extent of potassium. Search for the term hyponatremia (low sodium). Typically happens to kiddos that have been fluid overloaded or with excessive diarrhea. Either way, their sodium is getting washed out.

Sorry I don't have too much time to go into the specifics...I'm sure someone around has time to explain further....I will check back in a few days to make sure you have been fully answered (although the above should get you pretty close to an adequate explanation from the internet).

- in short, if k or na is too outta wack...you are screwed if not corrected and will die. that should make the parent's ear perk up.

-dg

Sodium/Potassium are the main electrolytes for all the body cells, we just spend more time talking about how they work on the cardiac muscle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.