Non EMS stopping to help at Accident Scenes

WannaBeEMT

Should a person with who is medically trained, stop to assist at an MVA or Keep driving, and just call 911?  

64 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, it helps.
    • No, I'd rather be the first on scene
    • Makes No Difference

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the area where I live we are in a rural area and everybody knows what the local MD's and their spouses and children look like. and if one of them stopped at the the scene we would obey their orders. Then again i'm rural and not urban.

Wow, you extend physician's rights to their spouses and children where you are?

:shock: :lol::lol:

In the area where I live we are in a rural area and everybody knows what the local MD's and their spouses and children look like. and if one of them stopped at the the scene we would obey their orders. Then again i'm rural and not urban.

I'm rural as well, but I still don't get the liability issue here. I will state that our MDs will typically not stop if they see us on scene, and will gladly step aside to allow us to do our jobs here. We're talking about a MVC, so with that statement I'll back it up with the Docs not having working knowledge of our tools of the trade, nor the protective equipment needed to do our job. Sounds like it could be two different worlds, but I'm just not getting it.

I doubt that anyone would question your judgement for turning down the assistance of a podiatrist or a pathologist. Let's face it, a pathologist probably hasn't actually seen a pt since their internship. You would be better off with the help of a boy scout than a pathologist. If they need the help of the pathologist, then it is probably a little late to be calling EMS. The best way to get rid of a pesky physician on-scene is to say, "Hey if you want to take responsibilty for this guy, you are going to have to ride along." Most will turn and run at that.

To akroeze I just stated that in rural area such as ours we know everyone we don't extend any md's rights to their families just that we know them on sight. A few months ago we a single vehicle MVA it was a motorcyclist and when we went out we brought a MD and an RN they did the on scene treatment. A few months ago we had a EMS member from the yukon working with us and she sated when they went out on runs they had to bring an RN with them. I wonder if there are any rural canadian ems personnel who is required to bring a rn on runs.

I wonder if there are any rural canadian ems personnel who is required to bring a rn on runs.

Not Canadia, but in one rural system I worked, we had to bring an RN with us. Otherwise, we wouldn't have a driver. :D

I doubt that anyone would question your judgement for turning down the assistance of a podiatrist or a pathologist. Let's face it, a pathologist probably hasn't actually seen a pt since their internship. You would be better off with the help of a boy scout than a pathologist. If they need the help of the pathologist, then it is probably a little late to be calling EMS. The best way to get rid of a pesky physician on-scene is to say, "Hey if you want to take responsibilty for this guy, you are going to have to ride along." Most will turn and run at that.

Our md's here are GP's We don't have podiatrists or pathologists in the NWT. We have to ship our DB's down to Alberta for autopsy. Even if we did have one of those has md's they can still do more than an emt or paramedic.

• 1 month later...

First and foremost ASK THE PERSON if they want help or want 911 called. I find too many people taking it upon themselves to activate 911 when THE PATIENT doesn't want police/fire/ambulance called. People have this diluted sense of "duty" when they see every Tom or Sarah slip and fall and call 911 BEFORE talking to the patient. Or the same people that call 911 for some guy that is being carried home drunk by their buddies, WITHOUT TALKING TO THEM! Then we come and police/fire and the people are like WTF!? Then the bystandard says stuff like "I am obliged to call" :roll: Now they will be sitting on our stretcher for hours tying up an ambulance, instead of being watched at home, which most sane people would do...

I have never stopped at an accident/scene. Unless I see something that totally warrants my attention/intervention as an off-duty paramedic, I will carry on. If you have some kind of education be it first aid or doctor, please ask the person if they want help or want 911 to be called. DO NOT BLINDLY CALL 911.

You use your own 2 hands to help, nothing more. Basic ABC's and as good of a Hx as you can get to give to the paramedics. The best bystandards are the educated ones that intervene as they can, give a good concise report, ask if they are needed, and leave. Anybody that does this, gets a "Where do you work?" question from me....and it is always either a MD or paramedic and it is followed from them with a "We good? Ok, later man"...

I couldn't agree more. Was obligated to stay as it was a witnessed wreck so I of course offered my company (no serious injuries, a couple booboos). Well writen vs. I couldn't agree more.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.