Somebody Please! help a newb...

Jimmz

You are in the same boat as every EMT that comes out of the current system of education.

None are adequately prepared to perform the functions that this "career" requires. Your program should have had a requirement of some clincal rotations, right? If it didn't, that's not so unusual as it is unfortunate. Discuss your situation with your FTO. They got to that position because they've been around the block a few times. They will also be able to better evaluate how to correct the problem than any number of anonymous responses on the internet.

Good luck to you.

Exactly.

Education = confidence, so maybe you are screwed.

Remember, in the end it's all ABC's...

Wait a sec...

A - what if their airway is obstructed by a hematoma? Or any of 97,632 other things that you can't fix

B - A is screwed and besides some first responder over-aggressively ventilated/oxygenated them and gave them bilateral pneumo's

C - They are hypotensive (but aren't bleeding)....Trendelenburg position! Wait! It doesn't work....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Mendoza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS - You'll be ok (potentially). Don't run.... (WHO RUNS ON CALL!?)

Thanks for all of the great advice guys... all I can say is that it will definetley be put to good use, and that you all rock hard-core for helping me out.

It'll be hard to get out of the "kick myself in the arse" everytime you mess up mindset, but I'm working on it. I notice that it's a lot easier to stay calm when we go on a call, and that I can do a few things right lol. Hey, I'm still learning RIGHT?

There were clinical rotations and shift rotations when I went through school, and they were both very helpful when I was still wondering if this is what I wanted to do.

Again, thank you everyone for all of the great advice and the personal stories lol, they help me to realize that I'm not the only one who started out in this position.

Now if I could just figure out how to handle that gurney...

Education does NOT equal confidence. It can help. But by no means is it the ultimate factor in confidence.

I know plenty of well educated people with very little EXPERIENCE who have no confidence when starting out- in ANY field, let alone the medical field.

Good education, good training + experience: excellent provider.

Decent training + experience: CAN be an excellent provider. Isn't always.

Good education, variable training + no experience: Mediocre provider, more than likely.

Poor training + no experience: Got a loooong way to go... try not to kill anybody while you're trying to learn something.

Also remember it depends on the person. There's docs out there with 10+ years of experience and a great education who don't listen for beans. I wouldn't trust them with anything worse than a busted arm. My own personal thoughts.

If you are highly motivated (which it sounds like you are) and just a little rusty from your program, don't let it get you down. Re-read your book. Have your co-workers drill protocols and practice procedures with you- it will be good for everyone involved. Don't be afraid to admit that you don't know somthing- pretending that you do will only get you and your patient into trouble. Hang in there, and don't be afraid to ask us questions in here! Most of us will help you as best we can.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

One of my first calls in my community was a gunshot to the head. The guy survived and is doing well to this day. When I was paged out I didn't have a clue to what I was responding to and an extra paramedic just happen to come along incase we need help (thank god) I didn't touch the pt but I did fall down the stairs, dropped the streacher, and just about dropped the spine board on the pt. Thank god nobody said bad things to me and just said stop running and take a breath if you need to it only takes seconds to do that. oh and make sure your boots are tied up. You will have those calls that make you dout yourself through your whole carrer not just at the beginning and a good thing to start doing is talking to your partner about the call at the station and ask yourself if there was anything you could have done different. Paramedic= A Pair of Medics you will always have a partner and if they are any good they will guide you through if your stuck. Oh ya Nobody ever dies in an ambulance they are either already dead or they die at the hospital. Good luck in your future career and just stop to take that breath.

happiness

I appreciate this responses and the original poster for posing these questions. I start next week and I am scared as hell, but the tips you guys gave will go a long way for everyone that is facing the new situation! Thanks you guys for sharing your wisdom with us. It is scary being the new person on the block, afraid you are going to kill someone or do something so stupid no one will ever have confidence in your abilities as a provider..........Thanks for making it not so scary!

Jenn

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.