Snow Tires

athiker

Growing up in Vermont, where we actually had legitimate snowfall, I can say on your car splurge and buy studded snow tires. My recommendation is if they are compatible, buy Nokian Hakkapelitta snow tires. http://www.nokiantyres.com

All seasons are for the guy in -20 below weather stuck in the snow bank.

Uh...

I remember reading that studded snow tires need to have the studs installed prior to use.

Also, I remember reading of someone in dispute with the folks who pay his expense account, justifying "Stud Service" for his car!

lol

Growing up in Vermont, where we actually had legitimate snowfall, I can say on your car splurge and buy studded snow tires. My recommendation is if they are compatible, buy Nokian Hakkapelitta snow tires. http://www.nokiantyres.com

Positively, hands down Nokian are the way to go!

I use them on my Truck and one Industrial Operator I work for in Oilpatch has put them on all their trucks.

ps All season radials are not Snow Rated either, this does make a huge difference in the go part, but improved Braking distance is by far more important to me.

We run Michelins exclusively, LTX all seasons on the steer axle & LTX M&S on the drive duals . We have a studded set that go on in November and come off in april. They are 10 ply rated and are great for traction & handling on pavement or dirt roads, excellent in the slop of winter. Plus they wear like iron and give us at least 40 - 50,000 miles per set. They cost a little more than CHEAP brands but cost per mile is much lower over the long term. :lol:

Be careful with "Studded tires" there are some states, like NY, where they are not legal, others have restrictions on when you can have them on a public highway because they cause damage to the road surface if there is no snow covering on them.

Having said that, if they are legal, they work GREAT in ice and snow.

Check with the DMV or State police before going that direction.

one question: Isn't it a little late in the season to be getting snow tires? If I was going to switch, I would do it in late nov. early december.

But other than that,, make sure you get tires that are properly rated for the size and weight of the vehicle you are putting them on.

whatever you decide good luck

Former

Be careful with "Studded tires" there are some states, like NY, where they are not legal, others have restrictions on when you can have them on a public highway because they cause damage to the road surface if there is no snow covering on them.

I just want to clarify, in NYS studded snow tires are legal, but only from October 16 - April 30.

-skibum

I just want to clarify, in NYS studded snow tires are legal, but only from October 16 - April 30.

-skibum

O.K. I stand corrected... Is that all of NYS ??? because I think I remember NYC having a traffic regulation against them. But that was like 10 years ago. Sorry for the error.... been out of NY for a while now, just go back to visit.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.