EMT student unable to lift

I agree with everyone here as well...In the past I've been stuck on a volly ambulance with people who can't lift half of their own weight.

It does no good to you, your crew, or the patient to have a person on the bus who can't help lift in some way shape or form. Relying on mustering the correct amount of manpower each and everytime is just wishful thinking.

It is part of the job requirements per Department of Labor to "reasonably lift" with this saying, no accomaditions has to be made. Sorry, it sucks but that is life.

If he values his back and as well I am sure the pain and agony that he had suffer, I would highly recommend another public service or volunteerism or possibly assist in an office position such as dispatch.. etc. Even lifting equipment or assisting is one of the majot causes of back injury in EMS.

Albeit bad news, I wish him luck..

R/r 911

Why would you want ADA to accomodate a potentially dangerous situation? You said yourself you would like to keep your husband's injury stabilized. Knowing how much he has suffered, why would either of you inadvertently want to hurt a fellow EMT or patient, putting them through what he has experienced? Factor that in with the probability of a patient dying because he was waiting for additional help.

You also may face the prospect of having your ambulance shut down because you didn't have a crew to go to the call. It has happened to many a volunteer agency. Frankly, I am suprised your ambulance is willing to take your husband on, regarding their liability insurance. Suppose the ambulance is involved in an accident and your husband is paralyzed? Who is going to pay that bill and settlement? Who would you expect to take the ultimate responsiblity? There are so many factors here and it is reminiscent of a bad train wreck waiting to happen.

As his wife, I would suggest you encourage him in other areas where he can function fully and without worry. There are some excellent programs in which people who have injuries like this can gain employment by entering a work program in which he would be trained for a job that is better suited for him. In some instances, they will pay for additional education, if needed. ADA might be able to direct you to those programs.

I think you know in your heart this is not an ideal situation and what needs to be done, or NOT done, in this case, in the interest of your husband, his partners and his patients.

I don't know anything about volunteer squads, but the question that I've gotten -every- -single- -time- I've applied for a paid job is "Do you have any conditions which will prevent you from executing the functions of the job I just described to you?" Some can be accomodated (Most, like back problems or hearing loss really can't.) This may be what's set in his heart, but as many have said, if he can't lift, it's probably time to think about something else.

i only read the first few replies so this might have been staed but bottom line is well here in ny anyways the DOH requires you to be able to lift 125 lbs unassisted and 250lbs with your partner its part of your certification. i browsed the nj doh for similar information and cannot even find where it lists the qualities/qualifications needed to become an EMT ex; hs diploma or GED, 18+ years of age, things like that.

look on the site or ask around im sure you'll be able to find it...

Most if not all EMT classes have a patient transport, patient packaging, patient movement part of the class. How will your husband be able to package, lift and move a patient with an injured back?... I think the best idea is for him to take an office job, as a dispatcher, maybe ambulance cleaner, restocking, etc. something that doesn't require heavy lifting.

With so many people in the industry suffering career ending back injuries, WHY would your husband want to volunteer on an ambulance if his back was anything less than 100%...and potentially risking another aggravating injury. ???

the best thing I can suggest is for him to rest up, heal up and reenroll in the next class. If I were the instructor, I would not allow him to participate in the class without a complete bill of health from a physician.

I've been in the industry for over 22 years and EMS personnel who are unable to lift do not last very long in volunteer or paid services. IMHO.

My thoughts are my own and do not represent my agency or dept.

Former