How to improve EMS professionalism

Eydawn

Well, despite the meanderings, I do see some good coming out of this thread. Should've seen the volly debate raising it's ugly head as I was entering the post, lol.... But again, some good suggestions. I hope everyone is paying attention and reading between the lines... obviously, professionalism has different definitions for every individual, but there are some broader concepts here that can be taken in and mulled over. How can YOU improve YOUR personal professionalism?

I've got a few suggestions... one of which is listen to the patient. Yea, we can't believe half of what we're told.. but how many of us have ended up saying "oh oh.. I should have listened to that part" when we turn care over and the doc looks at us like "How in the heck did you miss that?" I've seen patients being ignored. And not ignored because the caca was hitting the fan and there were several higher priority things going on. This is at all levels of care, including doctors, both ED and not.

At any level of training or education you MUST accept that you have limits and you MUST figure out what they are. This involves critically and dispassionately looking back through your books and thinking about your training level, years of education and what kind of background knowledge and job exposure you've had. I look at it this way... you can be well trained and very experienced and be a good provider; you can be well educated, and inexperienced and be a not so great provider, and you can be both well educated and trained, which when coupled with experience, will make you a great provider. Note the coupled with experience part. Let's not overlook that part. It's invaluable teaching that doesn't happen in a classroom.

So the EMT-B's with 30 years of experience and a wide array of exposure will be good providers- TO THEIR LEVEL! I'm a wet behind the ears pup. I'm still learning. I'm not even close to done learning, and it will be a long time before I'm a great medical care provider, if ever. Compassionate competency is what I'm striving for at this moment.

I really think that learning the boundaries of what you can or cannot do and realizing that every different level has different, but valid things to offer patients is a must. I think some of the nurse vs. EMS feud would be dispelled if that was something that we thought about more often. Are they doing what YOU would do? Nope. Why are they doing what they're doing? Is it benefitting the patient? Is it good medical practice? Ask each other questions and don't just look at it from behind your blinders of whatever cert level or degree YOU have hanging on your wall.

Side notes, welcome to the City, LauraAnne.

Sorry I've been absent for a few days. Life happens.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eydawn, the attitude you display, the acceptance of your own limitations, and the desire to improve already make you an excellent provider! You are the kind of person I would want to run on a member of my family.

We don't often compliment or give kudos to each other, but I wish that I had your attitude and professionalism when I was 20 years old. As it is now, I'm already an old fart, and will never reach the competency level that was possible had I had my stuff together when I was younger! But today is today and yesterday is gone. Just keep doing what you're doing!

.....is this ringing any bells yet, pumpkin? I am not trying to be rude, but it's a simple fact that you cannot grasp; the simple concept of professional attire and persona. Are you for real?? Seriously, were you born this stupid or did you just become this way ....... stop your crying......... go back to school and get hooked on phonics and possibly a little Eng Comp 101......

If someone spoke to me that way you can bet I would sure as hell take it personally. The pot calling the kettle black as far as unprofessionalism, though on different levels. How professional is name calling? Both are examples. Just pointing out the where's and why's of my statement.

As far as Ohio "closing the gap of care", don't get me wrong. I don't exactly endorse it, just trying to figure out the reasoning behind it. It does carry great potential to go very badly for the EMT-I.

You know, I've been thinking about a post I put in this thread yesterday, and I owe an apology.

I can understand how Shira would take Laura Anne's post personally. And while I agree with the basic concepts behind Laura Anne's post, what I subsequently printed encouraged in a mean spirited manner the personal aspect of this. It is not about personal things. This thread is about professionalism, and for me to place a post that could be interpreted as personally vicious is just plain wrong. It was not professional of me, and for that, I apologize to all the members here.

To Shira, I apologize for taking a thread meant to address professional issues, and turning the focus towards a more personal level. What I posted did nothing to promote professionalism within EMS, but ended up being the main catalyst for what could reasonably be termed character assassination. I hope you forgive that, and stick around on board here.

Yes, I was rude, but not until I was accused of being unprofessional. Delay patient care due to someone who I don't deem to be acting appropriately during my call is delaying patient care? I still don't understand that one. Ultimately, I am responsible for not only my own actions, but the actions of others on my team/scene. It's my choice not to have someone represent me or my profession in that manner. It would not be a delay of patient care, but perhaps she didn't understand this due to different system management. Therefore, I can see where she'd get the idea of having to wait around. But I would never jeopardize my patient's well being and I don't like being acused of doing such. This quite frankly infuriated me. If people accuse me of such fallacies, then yes, I will stoop to their level of idiotic comprehension and make them see and feel what I felt. Is it a case the pot calling the kettle black due to the fact that I openly pointed out I was acting unprofessional RIGHT UNDER the quote you got from me? Did you not see it? Wasn't THAT also an example of what I asked of her also in the quote above? To be adult enough to learn from mistakes, point out where you went wrong, apologize and take credit for being unprofessional... and move on???? That's what I did and I will do it again.... sorry everyone for this very long and ridiculous thread. But hey, you want to read only what you want and quote only half of what I wrote, so be it.

Oh and the name calling thing? Well....I call a lot of people nicknames.... pumpkin, hun, sweetie, toots, fruit cake, cheesy poof butt, barbie, jerky boy, PAB(punk azz biotch....yes, that is a compliment), sparky......ohhhhhh the list goes on and on...... just how I talk. It's all in how you take it. I guess you gotta know me to know what I mean by my names.....oh well, c'est la vie!

Something in Eyedawns last post hit home. Personal responsibility. If we all quit looking at what everyone else is doing and take a look in the mirror once in a while we have a chance to advance. IF each person who reads this thread would make an effort to be as professional as they can, it would have a small impact nationwide. Then, they influence those around them to attempt to reach the bar they set. This ripples a little farther, then that group impacts there sphere of influence, etc.

An this personal profesionalism covers a lot of things. To paraphrase a Supreme court decision, I may not be able to define professionalism, but I know it when I see it. It ranges from appearance, to patient interaction, to knowledge, to partner interaction, to many other intangibles.

Lets all take on this challenge to "Be all that you can be!" (Sorry could not resist)

Sarge

Lets all take on this challenge to "Be all that you can be!" (Sorry could not resist)

Good advice. Unfortunately, too many in EMS are too young to remember that motto. Consequently, nowadays they are too busy trying to be "an Army of one." :roll:

Dust, that has fallen out now too. Now we are "Army Strong" Some of the ads I have seen are STUPID!! Showing people working out, etc say there is strong, then (flash to guys repelling, etc) there is Army Strong. I sooooooo want to go back to be all you can be. At one time it was one of the top 5 recognized mottos in America. I remember so of the commercials from when I was a kid!

Stay safe. Any idea on return time?

Sarge

Yes, I was rude, but not until I was accused of being unprofessional. Delay patient care due to someone who I don't deem to be acting appropriately during my call is delaying patient care? I still don't understand that one.

Therefore, I can see where she'd get the idea of having to wait around

It appears here that you do get it, you just don't want that fact to interrupt your rant.

This quite frankly infuriated me. If people accuse me of such fallacies, then yes, I will stoop to their level of idiotic comprehension and make them see and feel what I felt. Is it a case the pot calling the kettle black due to the fact that I openly pointed out I was acting unprofessional RIGHT UNDER the quote you got from me? Did you not see it? Wasn't THAT also an example of what I asked of her also in the quote above? To be adult enough to learn from mistakes, point out where you went wrong, apologize and take credit for being unprofessional... and move on????

The problem is, that you acted unprofessional, took credit for it, yet decided to continue to act unprofessional. That is why there is a “submit” button. You had the opportunity to say “Hell, that's not how I want to represent my profession”, and change your post, yet chose not to do so. Everyone has their excuses for not being professional. For not shaving, tucking in their shirts, polishing their boots...You just picked yours. You chose to emotionally and intellectually show up in your pajamas...No difference really.

You asked her why, when so many people told her she had done wrong that she didn't act like a professional and say “Oh, I see this differently now, I may have been wrong”, I would ask you the same question. You made a good point, in an unnecessarily mean way...Oooops...Take credit, make it right and move on. You've told us that's the professional thing to do, and I agree.

That's what I did and I will do it again....

This attitude could be part of the reason folks here didn't take you at your word about learning from your post and moving on, and doing different in the future.

Oh and the name calling thing? Well....I call a lot of people nicknames.... pumpkin, hun, sweetie, toots, fruit cake, cheesy poof butt, barbie, jerky boy, PAB(punk azz biotch....yes, that is a compliment), sparky......ohhhhhh the list goes on and on...... just how I talk. It's all in how you take it. I guess you gotta know me to know what I mean by my names.....oh well,

I happen to love nicknames. But they don't fly well in the context of “Do you see how stupid you are Pumpkin?” (Meant to clarify. I'm certainly not calling you stupid, as you appear to be anything but.)

Both of your previous posts seem to smack of “I'm new to the board and I'm gonna show 'em there's a new Sheriff in town!” We get that.

You seem to be smart, confident and competent, you just stepped on your proverbial pee pee on this one...

We can take it, I hope you can too and move passed it now. I look forward to your posts in the future.

c'est la vie!

Back atcha.

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.