What would you do?

There's a fire, and you only have enough time to save one, what do you do?  

23 members have voted

1. 1.

• save ONE sibling
    • save FIVE strangers

Ok so the other day in my philosophy class, we were talking about ethics (Kant vs. Utilitarian ethics to be specific), and this what would you do question came up:

There's a fire, with people trapped inside. You only have enough time to save either 5 strangers or 1 sibling. What do you do?

Just wondering what you guys would choose?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to hijack the thread, but how's this for a twist...

Osama bin Laden is stuck in the burning building. There's a ladder within reach next to a charged hose line. You only have time to do one thing.

So...

do you reach for your telephoto lens to record the event?

Or...

do you throw that five gallon can of gasoline in the window?

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Be safe.

Actually I would do neither Mike. Granted, I see the humor in your comment, but I would like to say something.

I'd save his sorry a--. Just because, despite being a miserable excuse for one, he is a human being- as much as some would argue that what he has advocated has made him not deserving of even the most basic human considerations, such as being saved from a burning building. What gives me the right to say he doesn't deserve to be saved? Nothing, it's not my job to judge people. It's my job to save them. If I (or any of us) start judging someone as being unworthy of being saved, then I am no better than Bin Laden and his cronies who have judged us as being too degenerate to live, no better than Hitler and his counterparts.

I don't have a problem putting my life on the line for anyone, regardless of my personal feeling towards them, regardless of what crime(s) they may have committed. When we all started in this job our first charge was to serve as protectors of life, and to do that without question or regard to the race, religion, ethnicity, economics, politics, creed, color, or personality of the person in question. That means everyone. Everyone.

Granted, I might stomp Bin Laden's head into an unrecognizable bloody pulp if I just happened up on him in an alley, but if his life is in danger (other than from a legal execution of course :) ), I would feel compelled to act in the same manner to save him because it's not only my job, it's the right thing to do. We are best judged not by how we treat our friends but rather by how we treat our enemies when they lay cowering, helpless and defeated at our feet.

If anyone has any problems with what I have said here tonight, you know where to find me.

That took a lot of courage to say, and I must say that I agree with you in principle, I don't know that my baser desire wouldn't get the better of me.

As for the original question, the strangers.

I don't have a problem putting my life on the line for anyone, regardless of my personal feeling towards them, regardless of what crime(s) they may have committed. When we all started in this job our first charge was to serve as protectors of life, and to do that without question or regard to the race, religion, ethnicity, economics, politics, creed, color, or personality of the person in question. That means everyone. Everyone.

We are best judged not by how we treat our friends but rather by how we treat our enemies when they lay cowering, helpless and defeated at our feet.

As tempting as it is to fry Bin Laden, I agree with USAF... when the day comes that you pick and choose who you help and who you don't, it's time to leave emergency services.

As far as who to save, sibling or strangers...that's not a situation I even want to contemplate...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.