New Lopressor protocol

FL_Medic

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard of Lopressor being used in a prehospital setting. I've seen it used in the ER but don't recall the exact amount of time it took for the meds to take effect. Is it really worth it to carry this drug on the ambulance considering the possible side effects and the extensive list of common drugs it can interact? What are your thoughts are carrying/using Lopressor?

I've never heard of Lopressor being used in a prehospital setting. I've seen it used in the ER but don't recall the exact amount of time it took for the meds to take effect. Is it really worth it to carry this drug on the ambulance considering the possible side effects and the extensive list of common drugs it can interact? What are your thoughts are carrying/using Lopressor?

Our medical direcor is a pretty smart guy and has alot of confidence in our medics. I am researching it now, but honestly if he thinks we should carry it he is probably right. Our agency sets standards throughout the country and our protocols are constantly being reviewed by our peers and complimented for being progressive. This could be a mistake, but I think it will probably be another advancement that we will start seeing other agencies mimic. Anything that decreases o2 demand during an MI is a good thing... and decreasing the HR is the best way of decreasing the workload. This is the drug that can do that, we have decreased o2 demand by vasodilation, now we are gonna hit the HR, I am for it.... so far.

Keep in mind the only drug proven to improve survivability in an AMI is ASA.

Not even fibrinolytics or PCI can tout that they improve morbitity/mortality numbers.

It's great that your medical control has the leeway to be able to decide what his medics will be allowed to do without answering to some higher bureaucracy, but try to consider that not everyone has the same level of autonomy. Medical directors can want, but until state or regional councils agree, nothing can happen.

Keep in mind the only drug proven to improve survivability in an AMI is ASA.

Not even fibrinolytics or PCI can tout that they improve morbitity/mortality numbers.

It's great that your medical control has the leeway to be able to decide what his medics will be allowed to do without answering to some higher bureaucracy, but try to consider that not everyone has the same level of autonomy. Medical directors can want, but until state or regional councils agree, nothing can happen.

understood

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.