Anyone use the Thomas ALS or ALS Ultra Pack?

Sweet. :D You are quite right that goals and priorities change, especially in the younger years. You are wise to remain flexible until such time that your heart is solidly drawn to a particular path. At that time though, you would also be wise to discard all other diversions and focus. Time flies quickly. You'll be 50 before you know it. 8)

Hey, let me continue to delude myself that I'll be young forever. ;)

Anyhow, Sounds a little heavily packed to me, but that's pretty hard to qualify or quantify. You can always do the "what if" thing and justify just about anything. You'll be a wanker everyday you carry that 40 pound pack around... right up to the day you actually need it, and then you suddenly become visionary. You're going to know better than me what the potential is there on your campus. I just sure hope that is an aluminium oxygen cylinder! :lol:

I'm trying to pare down the numbers of crap. I realized long ago I cannot prepare for the plane crash that also somehow involves a schoolbus full of children and nuns. :D Or maybe I'll just overfill it intentionally for the exercise. I can tell you I'm stunned by the size of the external pockets on the ALS Ultra as compared to the old ALS. They HUGE!! I could probably fit 20 multi-traumas in just those two pockets for heaven's sake!

In all seriousness, the problem is the standbys, the vast majority of the work at the moment, until the ambulance we got donated arrives and all of the paperwork goes through. Anyway, you've got 300 people all clamoring for those lovely little ACE bandages. Realized quick I'll need to carry a few spares of dressings and crap so at the end of the day I still have enough for my own use in a call.

As to the O2 cylinder, I hope aluminum's what they keep in the county pool... :P

Remember, if you are going to be performing first response duties with another agency ultimately transporting, that agency is not impressed by the thoroughness of your bandaging and splinting, and in fact wish you wouldn't have done it at all because it screws up their ability to assess the patient. Consequently, bandages and splints are something most people could go a lot lighter on for first responder bags. Although, of course you have to consider the possibility of "treat and release" situations where the patient will simply catch a POV to the ER, where a sling and swath or wrist splint would be good. But remember, the liability of "treat and release" can be serious.

You hit the nail on the head. The large amount of treat and release I've encountered worries me. Most of the pt's so far have been "hey, do you have an ACE bandage?" A few fx's and some other "fun" stuff, but otherwise...

I think I'd dump the pedi BVM and Broslow tape. But then I don't really care about kids either.

:lol:

Find something better for suction. Even if it is just a 60cc cath tip syringe with an ET tube stuck on the end. That should be a much bigger priority than any of the other things you listed.

Portable suction unit will be carried (by someone else hopefully!), but is too big to be put in the bag. I'm considering putting a V-vac or something in the pack, but I know that they don't "suck" like you'd hope...

If you can get them, a fingertip pulse ox and a glucometer would be helpful additions to the diagnostic pouch.

Unfortunately, I believe these are out of scope for BLS providers in this state. Going to have to check with the MD to make sure. I tell you, it's a real wet blanket to have your medic patch and not be able to practice at it. Sigh. Something I'm hoping is able to be changed. There are several options I have heard of to solve the problem, but I doubt there'll be a change. Oh well, at least there's pt. contact, way more experience than I'd be getting otherwise.

What about an AED? Will you have one of those? If you're lucky enough to be in a position where they will be ordering one, be sure and talk them into the Philips with the monitor screen on it. Doesn't cost any more than the crap arse Lifepak, and much better.

Yup, AED is available, also carried separate. They aren't buying us a new one unfortunately. We're getting a "hand-me-down" from the transporting agency, a First-Medic 510 I believe. :shock: Seen one before, big huge unit as I recall. I miss my LP12 already.... :D

As I see it now, the EMT with me will end up carrying the suction and AED, and me the Thomas with everything else.

Good luck!

Thanks! :)

irlemt: Thanks for the link! :)

-Nick

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

Thomas packs are awesome, once again a hefty price for us where the $ is 8 times our currency! I purchased one recently when it was introduced to the south African market. Great to work with and excellent quality, it has taken a punch with all the calls its done and although it has a lifetime warranty it is not worth my while sending it all the way to the states for minor repairs.

I had to change the IV fluids bag, didnt hold enough fluids but the Intubation bag was perfect and is a great concept.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.