The dead has risen again....West Coast Style!!

At least this time it didn't happen in Detroit. Here is a little story out of Washington, enjoy!

----------- --------------- ------------------

Paramedic disciplined for leaving man for dead

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

By JOHN BRANTON Columbian Staff Writer

Advertisement

A Vancouver firefighter-paramedic wrongly determined that a suicidal man was dead, only to learn an hour later that the man was still breathing, an official said Tuesday.

As a result, Jesse Avery, who has been with the Vancouver Fire Department for three years, was placed on a 30-day suspension without pay Tuesday, said Fire Chief Don Bivins.

Avery also has lost his status as a state-certified paramedic, which represents an advanced level of emergency medical training that some firefighters attain.

He’s expected to continue working for the department as a firefighter, but will be on probation for three to five years, Bivins said.

Bivins said the Willamette Week newspaper, based in Portland, heard about the incident and called the VFD to ask about it last week.

After an internal investigation that began after the Dec. 3 incident, the fire department took action on Tuesday.

The investigation revealed that Avery was sent to a west Vancouver location, where the fire department crew found a homeless man in a detached garage. He had what appeared to be a suicide note on his lap.

Bivins said Avery examined the man, concluded that he was dead, and left the scene while police and an official with the medical examiner’s office remained.

An hour later, Bivins said, the police and other officials called the fire department crew back to the garage, reporting the man was breathing.

Bivins said he couldn’t identify the man, or disclose medical details, due to federal medical privacy laws. However, he said the man has been discharged from a local hospital and is alive.

“There are very clear medical protocols to follow when you suspect a death in the field,” Bivins said, adding that Avery “did not follow all of those.”

Avery cooperated during the investigation and admitted that he failed to follow the protocols, Bivins said. “I think he’s very relieved to have a job.”

Avery told officials he didn’t want to speak with news reporters, said firefighter-spokesman Jim Flaherty.

Bivins said it was the first such incident he could recall in his 31 years with fire departments, including 12 in Clark County.

This sounds more like he walked up to the guy and was too lazy to do anything else "because he was a bum".

If he'd done his job correctly it would have been fine.

And I agree with the above statement. If I ever did this, I'd be fired on the spot. Why is he even allowed to protect the citizens of that town when he's too lazy to perform his duties?

I will have to agree, if he lost his paramedic stuff why not fire him from the firefighter position? I mean if he was to lazy or stupid to do his job right, how do they know he will on a fire scene where alot more people could be hurt or killed.

Brock

Okay, so he gets a 30 day vacation and no longer is required to get up five times in the middle of the night for BS.

So where exactly is this "discipline" they are talking about? :?

If he had screwed up critically on a fire scene, do you think they would have taken his fire cert and let him continue to be a paramedic? :roll:

His hair didn't look any different at District 5 PCEP this past Tuesday... :wink:

Not a good year for Clark County EMS, we've already had 1 Medic fired from AMR for kiddy sex crimes and now this.

No wonder Dr. Wittwer hasn't answered my E-mail, he's probably busy pulling his hair out. :?

Peace,

Marty

This sounds more like he walked up to the guy and was too lazy to do anything else "because he was a bum".

If he'd done his job correctly it would have been fine.

And I agree with the above statement. If I ever did this, I'd be fired on the spot. Why is he even allowed to protect the citizens of that town when he's too lazy to perform his duties?

I get that same feeling!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.