Oxygen Tanks and environmental temperatures

skibum

I would be concerned about the cold much more than the heat. When the pressure reduces, it cools the O2 - if the outside temp is -30C or so, then you are sending super-cooled oxygen into a patient, and I doubt that that can be good for any system. Storing a tank on the outside of a winter vehicle would be risky unless there is a way to warm it before it is put through the system.

I realize that I am speaking from a very northern point of view - there are not many people who have to deal with the extremes we do, but 35C sounds WONDERFUL right now! We treat hypothermia with warmed o2 - how would you do that if the stuff was stored outside?

I'm sure the bottles will handle it - is the other issues to consider.

Were having a lot of trouble here with the 02 up at the bushfires. The temp is often about 45 Degrees (113 F) were up in the mountains so the heat from the fire + temperature + being up so high which altered air pressure doesn’t make having 02 very safe, which is kinda a bummer considering you have a firey go down with SOB or sever Resp distress and you’ve gotta drive about 15 mins from the fire front back to the staging area just to put them on 02. I think they’ve had a few cylinders go off so far and one went straight throw the roof of the truck… Also the instant ice packs and Ventolin explode.

OK!

Maybe I don't really want to see hot weather either! It never gets that hot here,

It would be interesting to hear from the manufacturers about the kinds of things they expect their equipment to deal with.

This is a big consideration when it comes to either steel or aluminum tanks. The older steele tanks have noted evidence of degradation after a while and have been noted to lose pressure after an unspecified amount of time. Now, most people don't have to worry about this since the tanks will far outdate the people using them. The newer aluminum tanks are lighter and easier to use without worry. The biggest thing about your O2 tank to remember is that the O2 inside will be exposed to the temperature as will your patient for whom the O2 is administered. Just FYI.

problems i have come across with my o2 was.. in extreme heat on a full cylinder.. was when at night the weather cooled off.. the gauge would read a little lower each night. which we all know why that happens. and where i live, it gets pretty cold, the only problem i have ever had in cold weather was the o-rings becoming damaged from the seal. i recommend leaving the regulator off until you want to use it. or.. just take the bag into your house, station whatever in these conditions. not that hard to carry a bag out the door with you:)

As I understand it, the tank, no matter who the manufacturer, or steel, aluminum, composite, or some new one I haven't yet heard of, shouldn't be a problem. Regulators, however, go with the manufacturer's recommendation.

As for the "O" rings, recently, the FDNY removed the plastic ones from service, in favor of a semi-metallic one. Seems when the plastic ones were reused, they would be cut by the tightening of the T-post, would lose pressure as a not so slow leak, or rupture entirely, causing the tank to spin from the pressure release.

On a personal note, I carry a tank in my POV, and the temperature over a year ranges from the rare minus 5 during a winter's overnight (wind chill doesn't affect this), to 105 on a midsummer's day, has not affected the tank or my regulator.

(Note to self: You still have a plastic "O" ring on that tank in your POV, change it out!)

Finally, if you must put the tank on the patient carrying device, with the patient, put some kind of insulation between the patient and the tank, as that tank can be really cold next to the skin!

I find the brass and rubber yoke gaskets last much longer, in any conditon, than the plastic or vinyl seals. Cost about three bucks, but they last longer, so its a plus.. and its brass. My valve and regulator is also brass to comply w/ the fire safety thing.

yoke-washer.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.