Head Injury Classes

I cover a MX track and im only a basic, with alot of transition modules. Is there any online courses that i can take? To help me get better assessments done on the patients i see, alot of minor to major concussions and such things like that. If anyone has an idea's or helpful hints or tricks, feel free to email them to me. flame05154@yahoo.com

Hey I’m also a MX EMT… As far as concussions goes I wouldn’t imagine there’d be a lot of assessments (at a basic level) apart from doing a GCS, Neuro Obs and asking a few questions, generally the ‘I don’t know were I am’ part gives it away. If my rider has LOC their collared and boarded. Any rider that displays sings of concussion is transported to the nearest hospital by ambulance for a 2 hour observation. I tend not to asses what level of concussion they have, they’ve either got concussion or they haven’t.

At MX I’ll do a basic assessment then if it’s needed or I’m not sure I’ll call for a paramedic transport.

I’m not a massive fan of online courses mostly because in Australia there’s no point in doing one because there not recognized.

I, too, am not a big fan of on-line courses but if you're hot to try one, check your state or NREMT to see what may be offerred.

For on-line ed, my fav is CE solutions. www.ems-ce.com

But that won't help for practicing assessments. Grab a kid and practice. Get permission 1st[/font:e1b5ac0ea3]. [/font:e1b5ac0ea3]

Grab a kid and practice. Get permission 1st[/font:bd3ebeef57]. [/font:bd3ebeef57]

I agree! The little takers love being all bandaged up and stretcher round, as long as they can have a ride in the ambulance after. :lol:

I’m not a massive fan of online courses mostly because in Australia there’s no point in doing one because there not recognize

Please tell me you didn't just say that.

Or at least tell me you were joking.

I don't get any "recognition" for any of the hours of studying I do everyday. Should I just stop studying? I mean really, if I get no CEs for my efforts, why should I waste my time learning anything? Why would I want to be a better medic if it doesn't get me any recognition?

I can't imagine. :roll:

Well before we fly off the handle here, I shall elaborate on what I meant by recognition. Number one it’s true that you don’t get a certificate but also you don’t have any practical exposure and I find it better if you’ve got someone like a teacher to fall back on with a bit of face to face interaction with the people who know best, not just a computer screen.

I did an online/correspondence course to get my Diploma of Psychology and also a Diploma of sports nutrition, which I’ve been chipping away at over the past few school holidays. I found even though I now have Certificates for it, I still wouldn’t have a clue… If you get stuck there’s no one there to help you apart from a book,the net and unfortunately mum couldn't help me out with anticathexis or homeodynamic principles...

And I know this is going to sound really arrogant, but for someone like me who wants to get into uni and isn’t really that good academically wise I’m going to need all the recognition and certificates I can earn!

Although you can’t beat good old practical exposure!

Fair enough. Your point is much clearer and valid now. But let's be careful to no categorise all learning that doesn't come with a certificate suitable for framing as pointless. It's hard enough to get a medic to crack a book after graduation as it is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.