nremt-i/85 written exam

I gotta say though, I don't think the class was nearly long enough. I understand that it's written in the DOT regulation that the class can be no longer than so many hours but c'mon here. With an extra month, I would have time to process this information. Right now I've got it leaking out my ears. maybe that's CSF.

I am not sure the DOT mandates a maximum amount of hours. They simply mandate a minimum amount of material must be covered, and anything beyond the minimum is simply that. For example, my class was in New Mexico and covered the NM EMT-I curriculum. Additional cardiac modalities, additional airway modalities, and pharmacology was taught. However, since the DOT minimum requirements were met, we were able to test at the NREMT-I/85 level. Actually, NREMT-I/85 was the goal since the course was a pilot program for military medics who needed to transition to a new MOS.

With that said, you would do better to take a year of A&P and go to paramedic school, or look at a good paramedic program that offers an AS or AAS degree upon graduation. At least, you will have a foundation of knowledge. (A&P, biology, and english)

Take care,

chbare.

EDIT: Wow, post number 1000.

Absolutely. I can't think of a good reason to go to the intermediate certification or licensure. You probably won't be happy with the intermediate scope and go the paramedic route anyway. Cut out the middle man, as the experience won't help much in the end..

The reason I took intermediate is it was required for my Paramedic program. The school has it divided up. As soon as completed EMT-I course could start Paramedic program. Other schools have the EMT-I as a requirement or an option while in the Paramedic program. I would always say immediately go on to Paramedic. There is no point staying an EMT-B or EMT-I.

As far as EMT-I NR exam is to easy, of course I went to a tough school.

• 2 months later...

[/font:e70bbd3263] I'm taking my NREMT I/85 on Friday the 25th and although I know our instructor prepared us for this I am still so nervous. One of my classmates just failed the test, and another of my classmates is finding out her score tomorrow. I normally do rather well on tests but I am having a difficult time remembering anything lately. Alot going on in my life right now so I am already under a tremendous amount of stress. I feel pretty confident with the basics, but the drip rates have me so confused and I had that Down Perfect before! Ahhhh! acids/bases ........I think I need to sleep and start over in the morning. Plus I'm on another 48 hour shift. *yawn* Sorry to vent my pretest jitters. I guess if I fail then I know I need to study harder. Other than that I will do my best.

I NREMT I/85 a little over a year ago. I thought it was the easiest test i've taken so far. The class was too short, (only 3 months) but I did a lot of extra clinical hours. There is a lot of information crammed into a very short time. I have to admit that I took this class with no intention of taking a paramedic course. But, after working with paramedic partners and learning how much more I could be doing for my patients, I am considering it. I just have to wait a couple more years until my youngest son graduates from high school. I don't want to be away from him anymore than I already am. You should do fine on the test if you know the material. Just remember that an Intermediate skill isn't always the right answer, a basic skill may be more correct. Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

So I ended up having to reschedule my I/85 test for 4/30, it was for the 25th. And I have to say my instructor was not easy but I found the test rather hard. My class ended in November though so I waited a long time to take my test. Life gets in the way yada yada. What made it more horrifying was that I read up on the NREMT website about the I/85 test and it said the minimum amount of questions for the I/85 is "85" questions, and the maximum is "135" questions. It said if you got 85 questions you either did really good or really bad. LOL And I of course had to get EXACTLY 85 questions! I was totally demoralized and thought I most certainly had failed and I checked today for my results. I PASSED! I still keep checking wondering if it's going to change. It hasn't. :| I know a lot of people have said to just go from Basic to Paramedic but I have to say in the rural setting I'm in I'd have to go to a big city to be up to date on my skills. So I am glad for the I/85, we are still a basic rig right now but because of those in my class we might go to Limited Advanced which would be fantastic. Anyway I am glad I passed and my tests are DONE! Oh and I had NO drip rate questions, tons of scenario based "alkalosis/acidosis" questions and one peds...anyway I would say for those that haven't taken it yet to study hard and use flash cards when you aren't able to sit down and study. And study prefix, suffixes, and combining forms...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.