nremt-i/85 written exam

Hey all i'm taking my NREMT-I/85 test this month does anyone know of any special things to look for or any certain things to review on i take my intermediate practicals this weekend which i'm actually excited for. But its still the written that worries me i've had people say its one of the hardest written exams you'll take (even harder than the nremt-p one). Anyone have any advise on this please let me know ASAP.

Thanks

Here's my .02....STUDY STUDY STUDY. Review all your old tests from class. Remember, when you are answering the questions, answer them according to YOUR scope of practice; there may be some answers that may see more correct IF you are a paramedic, but since you are going for EMT-I, answer them from THAT parameter.

Actually, I didn't find it particularly difficult, and this is the one I took also (I-85). One thing I do remember thinking was how glad I was that I knew alot of the vocabulary, and how if you didn't know the correct terms for things, it would really trip you up. So just try to know the CORRECT terms for even simple things. I'm sure you've been told this but it bears repeating: ABC's!!! Very important. Basic stuff made up the bulk of the test. Good luck!

I just took the I/85 on the 15th and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I think our teachers prepared us very well and the test I got in school seemed harder than the one at NR. All I can add is just remember basic simple things, there might be 3 answers that seem to be right, you choose the most right, also remember ABC's! If any question has scene safety that will be the right one, same with 02 or rapid transport. Study Study and Study some more, but when you go to take your test. get the night before a good nights rest, don't cram. If you do not know it then you are not going to learn it staying up all night

Good lucj I am sure you will do just fine!

Jenn

• 6 months later...

NREMT-I/85 is based on the DOT 1985 NSC. It is essentially a basic with a few more hours of training and additional skills. This level is based around additional assessment skills, IV therapy, and advanced airway management.

You should find that the written is actually quite basic in nature. Many of the questions are BLS in nature. You will have to answer a few IV questions and calculate a couple of drip rates. In addition, you will answer a few questions on airway management.

You will only have 4 psychomotor skills stations:

1) Airway management

2) IV therapy

3) Patient assessment and management (Trauma)

4) Random basic skill

NREMT-I/99 is based on the DOT-1999 NSC. The exam from what I understand is more in depth than the 85 exam. The psychomotor stations are similar to the paramedic stations.

The course is a few to several hundred hours in length. The I/99 receives additional training in several areas and can generally perform more interventions than the I/85. Much of the scope of practice will depend on local policies, state policies, and medical direction however.

With all of that said, I would go the route of paramedic if I had a choice between the three routes.

Take care,

chbare.

Make sure you know basic cardiac such as differences in right and left side heart failure. Remember basics first (i.e. start with oxygen, aspirin, then nitro ). Biggest thing is study. Hopefully you took a tough program, if you did national registry is easy.

NREMT-I/85 is based on the DOT 1985 NSC. It is essentially a basic with a few more hours of training and additional skills. This level is based around additional assessment skills, IV therapy, and advanced airway management.

You should find that the written is actually quite basic in nature. Many of the questions are BLS in nature. You will have to answer a few IV questions and calculate a couple of drip rates. In addition, you will answer a few questions on airway management.

You will only have 4 psychomotor skills stations:

1) Airway management

2) IV therapy

3) Patient assessment and management (Trauma)

4) Random basic skill

NREMT-I/99 is based on the DOT-1999 NSC. The exam from what I understand is more in depth than the 85 exam. The psychomotor stations are similar to the paramedic stations.

The course is a few to several hundred hours in length. The I/99 receives additional training in several areas and can generally perform more interventions than the I/85. Much of the scope of practice will depend on local policies, state policies, and medical direction however.

With all of that said, I would go the route of paramedic if I had a choice between the three routes.

Take care,

chbare.

To add to that, the I/85 is quite similar to the "Enhanced" level hear in Virginia. The I/99 adds in all of the cardiac issues/assessments/meds. The I/99 is pretty much the same as Paramedic as far as the exam goes except the I/99 does not have the two oral stations.

• 7 months later...

I'm taking my in class final for the I85 this coming thursday. Practicals are next tuesday. Then I gotta register for the NREMT exam. I'm glad to hear that there's only the 4 practical stations, those tend to make me psych myself out badly. and if the written is mostly practicality and Basic skills with a bit of ALS thrown in, and knowing the terminology helps, then this one's in the bag.

I gotta say though, I don't think the class was nearly long enough. I understand that it's written in the DOT regulation that the class can be no longer than so many hours but c'mon here. With an extra month, I would have time to process this information. Right now I've got it leaking out my ears. maybe that's CSF.

But it's like the rookie class for volunteer firefighting. In that 24hour class (max 40 hour) they teach you just enough to kill yourself. Does anyone here agree with me that because of the time restraints in this I-85 class they teach you just enough to kill a patient?

...With all of that said, I would go the route of paramedic if I had a choice between the three routes.

Absolutely. I can't think of a good reason to go to the intermediate certification or licensure. You probably won't be happy with the intermediate scope and go the paramedic route anyway. Cut out the middle man, as the experience won't help much in the end..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.