Paramedic vs RN to become a Flight Paramedic/nurse.

CaptBP

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why dont you give the military a try if you are so eager to fly? There may be opportunities there for you. You may even gain valuable experience that would make you competitive with other glory hogs trying to get a flight job in a civilian service.

Somedic

Joining the military for the experience, I'll agree, is a good thing.

However, most of the flight services with which I'm familiar aren't looking for military experience in terms of prehospital care or even flight care when considering an applicant.

You can't beat the trauma experience gained in a military environment. But three years on a helicopter in Iraq won't carry the same weight as someone coming from a busy fire department in terms of experience in regards to hiring.

I'm not saying that it's right. I'm just saying that's how it works in many areas.

Just something else to consider.

-be safe

Doesn’t America have the double degree of Paramedicine and nursing?

Where I'm from we don't have a double degree. The requirements of both programs make it impossible to do them together. We do, however, have bridge programs (medic-to-RN and RN-to-medic). Can't say I've heard much good out of either program.

"But three years on a helicopter in Iraq wont carry the same weight as someone coming from a busy fire department in terms of experience in regards to hiring".

Ok then.....wow! Why do you think being a hose monkey in a busy FD will get you a flight job more easily? I guess the two new Flight paramedics/iraq war vets recently hired by a local flight team in my state should go spray some water and roll hoses to be better at their jobs.

Somedic

Ok then.....wow! Why do you think being a hose monkey in a busy FD will get you a flight job more easily? I guess the two new Flight paramedics/iraq war vets recently hired by a local flight team in my state should go spray some water and roll hoses to be better at their jobs.

Somedic

The two new flight medics in your area most likely had extensive prehospital 911 experience in combination with their military service.

Perhaps I should've worked my reference to the FD better. Working as a paramedic in a busy 911 system will carry more weight than strictly working on a helicopter in Iraq for three years.

Further, if you had bothered to read all of what was posted instead of becoming inflamed by only a small portion of what has been submitted, you would have seen the part about "...most of the flight services with which I'm familiar..." and "I'm not saying that it's right. I'm just saying that's how it works in many areas."

But I guess sarcasm is easier than asking for clarification or thinking independently.

-be safe

Somedic

If they exist.

[The two new flight medics in your area most likely had extensive prehospital 911 experience in combination with their military service.

Perhaps I should've worked my reference to the FD better. Working as a paramedic in a busy 911 system will carry more weight than strictly working on a helicopter in Iraq for three years.

Further, if you had bothered to read all of what was posted instead of becoming inflamed by only a small portion of what has been submitted, you would have seen the part about "...most of the flight services with which I'm familiar..." and "I'm not saying that it's right. I'm just saying that's how it works in many areas."

But I guess sarcasm is easier than asking for clarification or thinking independently.

-be safe

Your post and advice was clear to anyone wanting to move forward as opposed to get into a peepee measuring contest...

This is a perfect example of your tagline in action...

(Waiting anxiously for somedic to tell me not to rile him up... :roll: )

Dwayne

Really what you need to ask yourself is how much money you want to make. RN vs Paramedic, the RN takes home the big bucks $$ any day of the week. Also if you are trying to get onto a flight service you can get on a lot quicker as an RN then you can as a Paramedic. In the Northeast they look for 10+ years experience with Medics but only 3+ for RN's. So you have to look at all of your options and choose what is best for you.

Dwayne: Me riled up? NEVER! I do find it humurous when green emts have all these elaborate plans to be a flight medic/nurse.

I dont mean any offence with my "tagline"

ParamedicMike: come on man! I am thinking independently but in a well earned sarcastic way.

Im like Asysin2leads: I dont see the glory in flight medicine but then Ive worked a medical helicopter crash before with no survivors and it was a real mess to say the very least.

I also remember seeing a flight crew covered in vomitus one day when a patient projectile vomited during flight in a very small aircraft (a-star for those bent on the model). I laughed very hard at them...it was funny and t proved that even flight gods/and godesses are vulnerable to things we lowly street medics face.

Somedic

Really what you need to ask yourself is how much money you want to make. RN vs Paramedic, the RN takes home the big bucks $$ any day of the week. Also if you are trying to get onto a flight service you can get on a lot quicker as an RN then you can as a Paramedic. In the Northeast they look for 10+ years experience with Medics but only 3+ for RN's. So you have to look at all of your options and choose what is best for you.

I will say by the information you provided, I do not believe you have first hand knowledge of the situation. It is MORE difficult to get hired as an RN than as a medic on a flight service. Also, there usually is NO pay difference between an RN and a medic on a helicopter. This is a huge problem within the industry and if you go to any reputable flight medicine web site, you will have all the insight you need to comment on these topics.

First, RNs are usually required to have a minimum of 5 years experience in ICU or an ER setting. In addition, they are required to have many certifications that most nurses do not normally posess. Also, in some states, (FL for example) they are required to be EMTs as well, some go on to complete their paramedic training. Now, being that they need a minimum of 5 years in ICU or ER and the fact that most new nurses do not gain entry into these areas until they have done a few years on the floor, you are looking at 6-10 years before you are competetive in the flight arena.

Now medics on the other hand, are a dime a dozen and willing to work cheap just so they can fly. There has been a huge proliferation of flight services over the past few years and many services have lowered their hiring standards. It is now possible to get hired as medic with as little as 3 years busy 911 experience. Thats it! Gone are the competitive days. I will say the only reason it is now difficult to be hired is due to the fact that there are so many applicants due to the lower standards. That is the only thing against a medic as far as competiveness.

Pay for the two positions is almost always no difference. This is another huge stink in the flight industry. One always thinks they should get paid more than the other despite there being NO DIFFERENCE in the protocols. The medic and the nurse are the same on most helo programs. What one can do, so can the other. The reason the teams work is that they complement each other. The nurse usually has more critical care experience/knowledge and the medic has more emergent experience. The skill set is the same for both.

So to answer your question, you will probably fly sooner as a medic, however in the long run it would be financially advantagous for you to complete your nursing. This is because nursing allows you many more options to fall back on and yes they do make more money in the hospital settings. Regardless of what you choose, do not stop learning. Take every class possible and resign yourself to the fact that it will be probably 5 years or so before you do fly, unless you go as an observer.

Dwayne: Me riled up? NEVER! I do find it humurous when green emts have all these elaborate plans to be a flight medic/nurse.

I dont mean any offence with my "tagline"

ParamedicMike: come on man! I am thinking independently but in a well earned sarcastic way.

Im like Asysin2leads: I dont see the glory in flight medicine but then Ive worked a medical helicopter crash before with no survivors and it was a real mess to say the very least.

I also remember seeing a flight crew covered in vomitus one day when a patient projectile vomited during flight in a very small aircraft (a-star for those bent on the model). I laughed very hard at them...it was funny and t proved that even flight gods/and godesses are vulnerable to things we lowly street medics face.

Somedic

What is wrong with green EMTs having a career goal? Why is this so laughable? AT least they realize what they want early, they are inquiring how to make it happen, and then if they are determined enough and successful enough, they will get what they set out to do. This is no different than the new mail room guy wishing to be management one day. It is a career with many options and they are pursuing what they want. Why do you feel the need to chip away at everyone and think or insinuate their goals are any less worthy?

So you don't see the glory in it...so what? Others might, or their reasons may not be "just for the glory". They could just have a lifelong passion for aviation and medicine, so what better way to combine the two. Geez, who cares why they are there. Someone needs to fill the job title and if it is them, so what. You sound hung up on the issue, but that is quite common attitude for many wannabes who never take the intiative to better themselves. I get so frustrated in this business, because the people that always try to get more education or move up in their career are continuously knocked down by others that are stagnant. Just let it go. If flying is not your choice, let it go. Do not pick on or belittle others who decide that is for them. Just sit back, say good for you and then go on about your life.

Again I say why is it laughable to see fellow colleagues covered in vomitus? The "flight gods and goddesses", that comment alone reinforces my opinion that you have issues with flight personel. So they got puked on. You insinuate that they never got puked on before they started flying. Remember, they did not just graduate school and become a flight medic. They put in their time on the streets before transitioning to that job. Most flight medics remember where they came from. Yes, there are egotistical jerks out there, but there are just as many on the street as well. But if you are the type to laugh at someone when they get puked on simply because of who they are and the job title they hold, laughing purely out of contempt, then I certainly do not want you as a partner nor as a preceptor to any newbies in this EMS world. It shows such a lack of respect and integrity. I thought the military trained their guys a little better than this. I will clarify before you choose to argue this point. There is a difference between laughing with your partner for getting puked on than laughing at someone out of contempt. You described the latter situation. Real stand up guy, I applaud you. (sarcasm)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.