I will probably burn out of EMS in:  

58 members have voted

1. 1.

• 1) 0-5years
    • 2) 5-10years
    • 3) 10-15years
    • 4) 15+years
    • 5) Never

Never say never, but I don't see burning out ahead of me. There is always more to learn, new experiences, new avenues to explore. It's the most entertaining thing I've ever done as an occupation. I take emergency medicine seriously, but it's not my entire life (which I think is a big key). I'm also a husband, father, friend, neighbor, brother, son, student, etc., etc.

Medicine fascinates me. I hope it continues to do so for a long time.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 years in....and I'm a lifer.(unless I can come up with the $$ to finish my MD) I've worked in places rididulously busy...now I'm in places semi-retirement....some days we do nothing, some days we do lots...just enough to keep it interesting. I have found that the key to not burning out is to a) try not to take work home with you and B) try to enjoy the people you're working with. You don't have to like them as people, you just have to be able to trust them as a partner. If you can't...there are many many other services out there...keep trying til you find one you like! (or better, one that likes you!)

Tox :D

Will be celebrating 30 years this June EMS full time. I believe "burn out" is a phrase of mind. I have usually seem majority of burnout occur do to the work politics and very little to do with patient interaction.

I have gone through multiple mini burnouts or I would call set backs because of the non-aggressiveness and repeated same mistakes of those in EMS.

R/r 911

• 3 months later...

I'm approaching 10 years and I've pretty much had all I can take. I've had small bouts of burnout throughout the years but this one's eating me alive. I just don't care anymore (I still provide the best care possible) and that's not fair to my patients. Physically, I feel my body slowly falling apart and mentally this job is the biggest stress in my life. I'm not a pleasant person to be around these days and I firmly believe that 95% of the cause is this job. Time to go. I love medicine, but have had it with EMS. I can't wait for the day I turn my sh*t in and never have to step foot back in an ambulance. Woo-hoo! :(/

• 3 weeks later...

This being my first post, I might as well jump right in...I hate riding the ambulance...I would rather suck purreed turds from a straw than ever ride an ambulance again.

I have been in the biz for 15 years...strictly full time EMS (Was a volunteer fireman also) until 1998, was sick of EMS then and decided to move into the fire service full time.

Problem was, I was in a fire dept that also ran EMS, so being a medic, that meant 80% I was still on the ambulance.

9 years and a promotion later, I'm still riding the damn thing every other shift. I love being a fireman, and I do enjoy helping people, but I prefer to do it form the fire truck. There is too much BS with EMS...paperwork, nurses, diversion, 3AM tummyaches...

Sassafras, I wish you luck. Last year this time, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I'm a hands on type of guy. I work at a camp, and I don't even consider it work, since it's all hands on. I realized that I could have a life, where I would have a constant hands on experience. I don't want to work in a cubicle all my life.

EMS provides me with an opportunity to have something new everyday. Everytime my duty shift comes around, I'm excited. Considering I've been doing this about 6 months now, I can say that I still have that feeling, and hope to have that when I'm going on a shift 10 years from now. Every day is different in EMS, which is why I think I will never burn out. I do know however, that I am very young, both in age, and my career, and that things can sure change. I see on this forum of people talking about burn out, and I truly hope that will never be me. I'm sure I am also overlooking many factors to burn out, but I do never hope I get burnt out.

I'll never burn out of medicine.

I can't tell you why I feel that way; it's a calling and a passion for me... I'll also never develop a dislike for chocolate, or hate Irish stepdancing... just one of those things. I may not be able to physically cope with EMS at some point; Lord knows I'm only 20 and I already have screwed up joints... but I will never leave the medical field.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

I've been with EMS for 15yrs and I became burnt at 5-7yrs. After that I grown to love the job once more and treat all my patients as if they are my own family. If you work for a large system with a high call volume chances are you'll become burnt out eventually. The unfortunate thing is that some rookies think it is fashionable to act burnt out. A lot of it depends on the system you work for to include the neighborhood, support system within your service and most important your own family support. It's easy for a new person to say I love this job and I'll never become burnt out but brother after you experience the worst in humanity like 9/11 you really can't say never. I can tell you that I've come to respect the job and that's what keeps me ticking.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.