Dispatched as CPR in progress, end up as an RMA

ghurty

How many of you have had a call dispatched as a "CPR in progress" and end up taking an RMA on the call?

Plenty of those over the years. Almost always involves drugs or alcohol.

Of course, right after cellfones became inexpensive enough for everybody to have one, the calls to 911 went up fifty-fold. Cellfones were still a fad, and people were looking for any excuse to make a call. Especially if it was a FREE call, like 911! So for several years, every guy laying on the shoulder trying to change a flat tire got called in by six different passers-by as an auto-ped. And, of course, if two cars were on the shoulder together, half a dozen people called that in as a major accident.

There's a semi-conductor factory in my hometown right alongside the freeway. They have those orange glowing sodium (I think) parking lot lights that are very bright. And they have a huge evaporative cooling unit on the roof that billows vapour clouds into the cool morning air. Combine the two, and it looks like the building is on fire big time. EVERY MORNING at least three people call that building in as being on fire. FD doesn't even respond anymore. They stopped years ago. Now they just call the plant security and ask them to step outside and look, lol.

Heh, my favorite is saying "Our cardiac arrest left prior to our arrival". Its a miracle!

We have a few of those out here. The fun part is confusing dispatch. Dispatch out here tends to over-react. It took a while to get them to stop flying the chopper for almost every MVA that came in, now they just automatically call them and put them on standby. So when we get onscene and find one of these, I like to radio dispatch and tell them they can cancel the chopper, oh, and by the way, we aren't transporting. They usually come back with "Can you 10-21?" (call them on the phone). They are panicking thinking that we have lost our minds trying to kill the 'full arrest' we were running on that was breathing until we got there. They just miss the part that they never actually stopped breathing, or lost a pulse.

Poor Dispatch.

Eathcore Rave Party (My Experience) :

I live in a rural area so Rave Party’s are out in the middle of someone’s paddock about an hours away from any form of civilization, normally 7000 + people taking any sort of drugs they can find, drinking and mixing any sort of alcohol they can find, having sex with anything they can find also the river that runs past this persons farm doesn’t help, its also extremely hot. It’s on a private property so the police can’t do anything about it, they have professional security there but their pretty much paid to turn a blind eye. The event has 4 stages and a few tents.

The event it self is a geographic area of 100 acres which is massive.

St John normally have 60 First Aid, ACMT team (doctors, nurses, paramedics) and a field hospital set up. It is quiet an experience to say the least lol….

This is the event we cover:

The Rave Party’s in Melbourne are in places like Rod Laver Arena these events are way more controlled with police, it is suppose to be a drug free event lol…

NPAs work wonders on the "unconscious" ones lol...gotta secure that airway!!!!! :D

I love the NPA's they are so much fun, especially when someone fakes a seizure, (gotta secure airway) they jump up and pull it out. Amazingly the seizure just stops and they have no memory loss or anything. We also tell them that they need to go to the hospital, however they always refuse. Man, they even know to refuse transport. They are a lot of fun to go on. We do not usually get that many drunks in rural Iowa, we do get a lot of fake seizures though.

I love the NPA's they are so much fun, especially when someone fakes a seizure, (gotta secure airway)...

Good luck in court with that one.

I can assure you that your medical director is going to testify against you at both your assault trial and your decertification hearing.

I beleive that several people miss understood what I was saying. When someone has a seizure their airway can and will be obstructed in some cases. The Nasal Airway is the only way to secure the airway, because you cannot put anything into their mouths. I have family members who have seizures that last over five minitues at a time and their airway is obstructed most of the time. I only insert NPA's if I hear and verify an airway obstruction.

I’m no paramedic but wouldn’t putting a NPA down while someone’s having a seizure cause unnecessary tissue damage maybe even some bleeding?? If their airway is obstructed then wouldn’t rolling them onto their side and maintaining an airway this way be adequate enough? :?

I’m no paramedic but wouldn’t putting a NPA down while someone’s having a seizure cause unnecessary tissue damage maybe even some bleeding??

Yes, but this is a possibility in all patients.

I love the NPA's they are so much fun, especially when someone fakes a seizure, (gotta secure airway) they jump up and pull it out. Amazingly the seizure just stops and they have no memory loss or anything.

If you're going to try and BS people, at least go back and cover your tracks first. :roll:

There should be an addendum to the tried-and-true rule of not putting anything into the mouth of a seizure patient. Don't put anything in their nose either!

Thats what I thought...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.