What the heck is a 'code'?

DwayneEMTP

I thought I knew what a 'code' was. Lack of hear beat and respiration. It made perfect sense in context with 'pedi code' 'geriatric code' etc.

Then I saw on here somewhere, "dispatched to a nursing home for a code (not a full code)" and all of my 'code' clarity became a little murky.

So what is a code? Are there different types and levels?

It's ok to tell me I'm an idiot...I've heard this term since I was about...well...young....watching Emergency, and I should probably know the answer...but...well...there you have it.

Have a great day all!

Dwayne

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no what it means is this

Patient at the nursing home needs to go to the hospital. The nursing home will call 911 and say the patient needs to go to the hospital for chest pain or something. They also say Oh he's a full code meaning that he's a full code on the chart so if he codes you have to code him.

goodness could I have said code enough coding times?

Does that cryptic code make sense?

As far as I know, "code" means "cardiac arrest." When we respond for a "code" we are responding to a patient who is pulseless and apenic (or at least thought to be).

A patient who is "full code" means that he does NOT have a DNR order. Therefore, a patient who is "not a full code" could possibly mean that he is a DNR.

Soo if I were dispatched to the "code (who is not a full code)" I would assume I was going to make a presumption of death.

Another possability is that "code" is in reference to the type of response the ambulance was on. Code 1, Code 2, Code 3, etc meaning lights + sirens, lights, and no lights no sirens respectivly. Thats the only other thing I can think of.

"code" is from the term "code blue", so its an abbreviation of a euphemism for a medical term. I don't use the term "code", I say arrest. Unless the patient is in police custody, everyone knows what I'm saying when I say "Its an arrest."

I've heard several uses for the term "code" that is always understood when in context of the conversation.

"Transported code" = code 3 (L/S)

Full/partial/no code = DNR status (Full code= no DNR)

"Gave code" = When my company transports ER calls BLS, the crew calls in the information (age, sex, CC, PMD, ETA, other info as

needed [DNR status, code 3, v/s, etc only if needed]. The radio code for this is "code 1." This normally gets shortened to just "code" when used in a proper sentence (i.e. "unit 75 transporting all zeros [trip odometer set to zero], code 1" would normally have the response from dispatch of "Unit 75, go with code"). [since we are a BLS company, if we have paramedics on board then they either contact a base hospital, if required, or the receiving hospital. In this case we just let dispatch know that we're transporting with medics and that they've made contact"]

"The patient coded" means cardiac or respiratory arrest.

I’ve never heard of code referred to as cardiac arrest until I came to this site. We also say cardiac arrest. The only codes we have here are the ones we use on the radio. We don’t even say patient arrested by police, we have to say patient was remanded in police custody.

We have codes 1 to 12 + code red and purple.

I don't use the term code either. I call it what it is... respiratory arrest, cardiac arrest, do not ressuscitate order, advanced directive. I feel that the term "code" is slang and we should try to steer away from it. Nothing bothers me more than hearing some idiot calling into the hospital saying "we are coming in with a patient who is coded/code blue/full code or even full arrest". Where the heck did the term "full arrest" come from. As if there as such a think as half arrest or 2/3 arrest.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.