Lousy code 8s! (that's a standby, for those not in Ontario)

MedicDude

Well, I'm in the final phase of my training (consolidation, placement, or whatever you want to call it) with a semi-rural service. They're a good bunch, and we see some good calls sometimes, but I noticed a disturbing pattern. See, when another unit in a nearby area is on a call, we're often called in to provide some coverage, at an in-between location. Unfortunately this location isn't at an entertainment complex or anything like that-- it's beside a farmer's field, just off the highway. Last night, we were there 3 times, one of which lasted over two hours.

So, any ideas what to do while on these boring standbys? I realize studying is useful, and I do it sometimes on standbys, but honestly, at 11 pm there's only so much studying you can do before your brain turns mushy. Talking to my preceptor is good too... except when he's tired and not in the mood for conversation (a common occurrence on late-night standbys). Techniques I use for fighting boredom here will probably carry on into my employment, I imagine :wink:

Since we're students and get stuck in the back you might as well take advantage of it by getting some sleep on the bench.

Done and done!

Though sometimes I'm just not tired, and "trying" to sleep is one of the hardest things you can do...

Didn't stop me from getting a few hours sleep on the bench last night though!

Read a book? Ipod? Portable dvd player? Crossword puzzles? Gameboy? Sleep?

I'll bring my iPod next time, but I'm too poor to afford a port. dvd player or gameboy... Damn student poverty....

A book is an excellent idea! Anybody know of any good books you've read lately?

(NO romance or mystery novels though!!!) :lol:

You know what I noticed as a student about the newer Demers? They have LOTS of room for the jumpseat to recline.

That's all I'm gonna say :lol:

There are two units I'm usually in. One is a Demers extended cab, and the other is a small-ish Crestline. I was surprised that the crestline had more room to recline than the Demers... ah well, I suppose it depends on what model and options you get. But, I'm a side-sleeper so.... yeah

Ahhh! I'm not going to comment on what you 'should' be doing, cuz what you 'should' be doing and what you probably do are two different things :P

But! Some little insight because I love technicalities ...

-PCP students ONLY complete preceptorship

-ACP students complete preceptorship as well, however some services require consolidation

The difference is, preceptorship you are third man on, being supervised and not paid. With consolidation, you are paired with another ACP, and are being paid, but it's kind of like a probation. Essentially, same thing as being precepted as you attend every call (but can drive to scene), except you lose the safety net of your partner when you begin transporting. Personally, I believe EVERY service should require consolidation for new ACPs, but whatever.

And, browny points ... EVERY call you complete as a student, you should be filling out one of the special codes on the ACR (56 i think).

Jacob

Of course, if you have a hott partner, you suddenly find yourself praying for those hours spent out in a farmer's field at midnight! :twisted:

But if that is not an option, I agree that the iPod is my new best friend. Between the Solitare game and the Music Trivia game on there, I can entertain myself for hours.