UK Paramedic Requirements

1EMT-P

Thanks for the information so far. I have a bit of a predicament, and I was wondering if you gents could help me out.

I have a friend in the States who recently started training as an EMT in New Mexico. He's considering going Paramedic, but will probably stick with EMT. His ultimate goal is to move over to the UK, preferably England, and work as either an EMT or Paramedic. He'd like to accomplish this in roughly no more than five years if possible, taking the strictly EMT route as opposed to paramedic.

From what I've gleaned from this topic thus far, it seems like the optimal approach would be to finish his EMT training and work as a paid employee of a private company for a year or two, and then apply for a work visa in the UK.

Is this a sound or likely feasible approach? I'm unfamiliar with work visa laws, and the general attitude of employing immigrants trained in another country. What obstacles would he likely encounter?

In addition, should it be a feasible strategy, after he's moved to the UK and begun work as an EMT, would he be able to opt in for training as a paramedic with relative ease?

My understanding is that US based EMS training will be laughed out of the country in the UK. If you, I mean he, wants to work EMS in the UK it would be better to go to the UK and do all the initial training there.

Other options available to you, I mean him, include contacting the British diplomatic station in the US with questions on how to handle the emigration process including work visas and the like. You, I mean he, should also begin researching schools in the UK where you, I mean he, could begin EMS education that will be accepted in the country.

If you, I mean he, wants to do this in five years you'll, I mean he'll, probably want to start as soon as possible as the emigration paperwork can be lengthy and time consuming.

Of course, as I mentioned, this is all my understanding of the process. If I'm incorrect I'm sure someone with more knowledge or experience on this matter while chime in.

Interesting. I just looked up the difference between a basic EMT's amount of training and a Paramedic's. That's a pretty steep difference.

The biggest differences between paramedics and EMTs are the training and the scope of practice (what they are allowed to do). Basic EMTs usually receive 120 - 150 hours of training, while paramedics get anywhere from 1,200 hours to 1,800 hours of training. Paramedic programs often award two-year degrees. -source

He said the EMT program in New Mexico was two years, and the Paramedic program was four years. Am I correctly assuming that such a timeline is due to required classes for some sort of degree-like certification?

Also, when you say, "US based EMS training will be laughed out of the country in the UK", are you saying all EMS training is considered sub-par, or only basic EMT certification? I can't imagine why a Paramedic trained in the States would be considered incompetent in comparison, but I'm more than open as to the why of this issue. Is there no UK equivalent of a basic certified EMT?

From what I've gleaned from this topic thus far, it seems like the optimal approach would be to finish his EMT training and work as a paid employee of a private company for a year or two, and then apply for a work visa in the UK.

He doesn't apply for a work visa. His employer would do that, and therein lies the biggest issue with people wanting to work in foreign countries. They could work their arses off to get a qualification they want to travel with, only to find out there is no way to obtain a visa at the end of it.

Unless he already has an "in" to the UK, he should start here...

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/

Also, when you say, "US based EMS training will be laughed out of the country in the UK", are you saying all EMS training is considered sub-par, or only basic EMT certification?

I'm saying an awful lot of US based EMS education and all of US based EMT-B training is woefully inadequate, substandard, sub-par and whatever other negative adjectives you'd like to insert.

I can't imagine why a Paramedic trained in the States would be considered incompetent in comparison, but I'm more than open as to the why of this issue. Is there no UK equivalent of a basic certified EMT?

There have been multiple discussions here in these forums regarding the state of EMS education in the US. The reasons are multi-faceted, often deeply political, and are entrenched in the current system and structure that is American EMS. Those topics are by themselves individual discussions. Throw them all together? Look out.

And really? Why isn't "your friend" posting for himself?

Just unusual. Usually, at least as far as this site goes, many who come here with "a friend" who needs something are really looking for something for him/her-self.

Many EMS-ers also tend to be more type A personalities and like to get the info or do the research themselves. There are always exceptions, of course. However, it can be a little eye catching when others are trying to do the research for someone else.

The Previous discussions between UK and US EMS systems have usually used the NHS ambulance service as the benchmark. The majority of paramedic jobs in the NHS now require training and education at the degree level, as well as registration with the HCPC. However, there are private providers in the UK which, although plentiful, have no set standards of training or education for their staff. I would even go as far as to say that several UK PAS providers could only dream of training equivalent to the US EMT-B.

Of course, none of this solves the visa issue for the friend of the OP.

Of course, none of this solves the visa issue for the friend of the OP.

Interesting.

He's had this dream for moving out to England for a long time, for reasons I'm not too entirely clear about. I did some more research, and what I came up with was that he could definitely transfer to The Republic of Ireland with his Paramedic certification and some work experience/references. It's not the UK, but I'd imagine getting UK equivalent training through their channels would be quite a bit easier if he's at least in physical proximity of a UK country, as opposed to being across the pond, assuming Northern Ireland has access to the training/certification you guys have mentioned. I could be completely wrong about that, and if I am, please let me know.

Thank you very much for your time, insight and information. It's been invaluable :)

I did some more research, and what I came up with was that he could definitely transfer to The Republic of Ireland with his Paramedic certification and some work experience/references.

There are no definites when it comes to international transfers, and PHECC is no exception.

Applications for recognition are examined on a case-by-case basis and there is no provision to recognise an applicant’s professional qualification automatically.

http://www.phecit.ie/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=578

Geographical proximity to the UK would not make UK HCPC registration any easier...otherwise it would be full of Frenchmen.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.