DRG or Littmann

markdk86

After doing reserch I can't decide between

What exactly did you want me to get from this line?

End result mate is there is no standardiised method for recording and comparing the acoustics of stethoscopes so essentially me telling you which of the two is better is useless. Their are far to many physiological variables in the type of seal the earpieces will give you, you own frequency perceptions of sound, the way the thing fits in your ears etc etc. So me telling you what my preference in the end is useless and unless your auscultating lung sounds and not just taking B/P's theres not much point in buying an expensive and highly theivable item anyaway?

Get what works for you

Now i have given you "advice" its till not what wou wanted anyway, so whatever.... :?

What exactly did you want me to get from this line?

End result mate is there is no standardiised method for recording and comparing the acoustics of stethoscopes so essentially me telling you which of the two is better is useless. Their are far to many physiological variables in the type of seal the earpieces will give you, you own frequency perceptions of sound, the way the thing fits in your ears etc etc. So me telling you what my preference in the end is useless and unless your auscultating lung sounds and not just taking B/P's theres not much point in buying an expensive and highly theivable item anyaway?

Get what works for you

Now i have given you "advice" its till not what wou wanted anyway, so whatever.... :?

I'm sorry, I just woke up I should have been more clear on my second post. Honestly your post makes sense. I think I may just go with the DRG because it will filter out more noise after all the twists and turns of city ambulance driving.

In English, that means:

It's already been discussed to death. And...

It doesn't matter for an EMT, so just buy the cheapest.

now that is some statement for someone that wants to enhance EMS, if an emt is responding to trauma and ALS are dispached after them, it would be nice to know enroute that the Pt has decreased breath sounds, if the EMT wants to invest let them, it can only do more for them, cheap is wat it says on the tin.....cheap.

When I first started, I carried a Sprague Rappaport Cardio Stethoscope that was required during my ill-fated time in med school. Its got pretty decent artifact noise reduction but its heavier than heck and if I dont counter balance it with a roll of tape, it falls on the pavement everytime i get out of the rig (yes i carry mine around my neck like a whacker because the services I have worked for and with so far are full of thieves). This scope cost me about $40. But for Basics like me I agree that the gold standard should be, can you tap in the tympanum and hear the tapping, can you get decent enough sound quality to do BP, hear whether or not lung sounds are present or diminished or absent and can you tell the difference between rahls and ronchii. If you can, thats the scope for you. As I found out, expensive doesnt mean that the person the ear end can necessarily do anything with it. We had a girl in my EMT class that couldnt hear BP sounds even on an electronically amplified veternarians model. Turns out, she wasnt turning the ear pieces forward so that they were actually in her ears instead of hanging around the outer ear and blocking sound. I gave myself a gold star two days before out practical exams for licensure when I figured out this was her problem. Buy inexpensive but good, as a Basic. If you get to be a CCP or flight medic, then it might just be worth shelling out a couple hundred bucks. And if you cant hear with scope you are currently using while running hot and trying to block out sirens, equipment rattling around in the cabinets and road noise, then practice your palp BP skills. Oh crap...did I just say something that might actually make sense and apply to the thread. Rats.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.