How do you handle first responders?

What would you do  

37 members have voted

1. 1.

• Talk to the bystander/First Responder/EMT who stopped to help... and to the pt.
    • Completely blow off and Ignore the bystander/First Responder/EMT who stopped to help... and talk only to the pt.

Just a re-stating of what I know I have put into other threads: Be respectful of those who were already on the scene, and don't just push them out of the way.

An EMT of my acquaintance successfully sued a Paramedic from her agency for assault and battery. Seems he didn't realize she was an EMT, as she was out of uniform and had stopped at a street side incident in her POV, and physically pushed her out of the way so hard, she fell and sustained an injury. Our "hero para-god" had done a deed I have always called "Paramedic Shove".

I don't care what level you operate at, or who you have higher level of training over, don't commit Paramedic Shove, as the person you push might have Johnny Cochran's Law Firm on speed dial!

• Like 1

Me and my crew follow the same line on and off duty, if theres a few of you, have one person go and pull bystanders to the side and get the info from whoever saw anything and from anyone who intervened. This of course is all for comparison once you get the story from the pt, it also comes into play if before you can get a good history the pt passes out.

The more info the better Taking the people/person to the side and explaining to them to calm down and recall as much as possible I think is key.

• Like 1

AS A PARAMEDIC I LOVE it when I already have someone on scene who has done an intial assesment and can give me a run down on my patients. I am very greatful and whatever agency responded to this MVC and basically gave you the finger needs to be asked whey they treated you this way. You did a great job and THANK you for doing it in case they did not say it. I am sure they did not. WTG!!

Hey I stopped at an MVA last night on my way home... car had been hit and spun 180. guy hit windshield was wearing seatbelt. A0x3. - airbag

c/o L hip pain, stiff neck, and his wrists were hurting...

When i got there they had already called the police, thought the assignment was on the way... 30 mins later the police show up.. and then he has to request a BLS truck once onscene... (there was a huge ped struck w/ fly out that was going on at the same time so things where a bit hectic)

upon my arrival... i turned off the car that had the damage, put the break on.... found out if everyone was okay.... got the information about the pts. ... and all the other good stuff we do...

by the time the BLS truck had arrived.. I already had gotten an initial assesment done, found had NKDA, No Medications, No History, etc.

and taken C-SPINE

Now here is the question i have for everyone.... what would you have done if you were the responding BLS unit. Do you just ignore the person sitting there holding C-Spine, and talk only to the pt. or do you find out who they are and what they know? and also talk to the pt? just wondering what yall would have done...

***on a side note the a common theme for this Counties EMS agency (not mine next one over) is one of a paragod (whether they are medics or not) syndrome*** just wondering what yall would have done

I like to err on the side of pt always! It depends on a few things:

Do I know the first responder

What is the level of training

How are they acting

etc...

Things like that.

I have already had a First Responder show up at a "MVA" who looked like he had just come from the trailer park. There was a light bar that was welded and taped together then bungee corded to his mini van. He told me that the pt was in a diabetic shock. It was about 110 degrees said day and the pts car had just broke down after she was just fired from her job. The first responder was insisting that he drive the ambulance to the hospital for us. Long story short she was a RMA.

I have had other First Responders on scene that I have actually taken to the hospital with me to assist with treatment. It is really a judgment call. I like to listen to what they have to say first, then talk to the pt, and then will I form an opinion of what they said and how I will continue from there!

I think what you did was fine and personally wouldnt have had any problems let you continue with treating and packaging and thanked you!

Like many, I've had good and bad experiences with "First Responders" and good samaritans. Biggest problem(s) have been the one's who get off on being the first there. They are more often basic trained, or less, and try to impress you with what they done and their "knowledge" above what their past training was.

And there are the one's that have done things wrong. Most don't like it when you question or correct them on their mistakes. It's just nature.

And there are those that "cling" to you and try to look good for the OMGS (Oh my gosh squad).

Fortunately most of the First Responders in my area and I knew well were very good at what they do. Rarely did I have problems with them. And when they did a mistake they learned from it and listened to you.

But you need to talk to any of those who were there or there first. Any and all info is helpful.

Very shortly, after I got my first responder cert (ECA), I was on my way home from work. As I am nearing a fairly busy intersection (small town, so there are only a few of these), I see an MVC; 18 wheeler vs car. EMS/Fire has not arrived on scene yet. So, now I'm struggling with the decision, "Do I get out and render what aid I can or do I drive on?" I decide to stop.

I learn that 911 has been activated so I 'triage' the situation and decide to calm/reassure the one person who appears to need the most attention (driver of the car) and hold c-spine for that person. She's not English speaking, so I talk to her through her children and use what little French I know. Fire/EMS arrive and take over - not really acknowledging that I am even there. One guy asked if I was okay to continue to hold c-spine while he assesses...but that is about it.

After everything was said and done, I had the world's most empty feeling. One of the reasons I got in to this was to make a difference. My first "call" and now I'm not so sure. Then I remembered, I'm not here to impress the other crews. I'm here for the patient.

In a few weeks, I will take on my first job as a paramedic. I'm hoping that the experience above will stick with me...that it will remind me to thank those who get to the scene first. That it will remind me to engage them, even if just a bit, so that they remember why they got in to this field in the first place. I'm hoping that it reminds me that we all have a place and can have a job at a scene if managed correctly.

I'm hoping...

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.