Morphine Carrying Case Ideas?

Dustdevil

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Dust this may be a stupid question but why can't it just go in your kit with the rest of your drugs?

Hey Ozzie! Good to see you back, Mate!

To answer your question, I don't always have my "kit" with me. I work mainly in an aid station where I work out of cabinets, not kits. I don't have an ambulance. Just a Chevy Tahoe response vehicle with no locking compartments in it. When I leave the aid station, I need to take my narcs with me in case I am needed outside of the aid station. If I kept them in the kit, that would present two problems. First, I would have to bring the kit with me everytime I leave the vehicle, including to the office, to the chow hall, to the post office, to the gym, etc... And second, I would have to have a way to secure the kit at all of those places. The easiest way is to simply keep all of them in my pocket. That way I am always 100% positive of where they are, and that they are all there. There is no other way to do this. The previous person at this aid station thought they had a way figured out and, as you may see in another topic, she is no longer here because she ended up with missing narcs. Not to mention that since her narcs were always in a cabinet in the aid station, she never had them available with her out in the field, which the powers that be were none too pleased about in retrospect. I ain't goin down like that!

what about those nifty vacuformed vinyl carriers that are meant to hold several large cigars at a time...would that work? Whats the tobacco consumption like over their anyway? Sorry if that hijacks the thread and what about a swift if sleepy end to the conflict by leaving vials of MS and syringes around for your friendly neighborhood RPG chuckers to find. Mmmmm...morphine. Kind saps you of your jihad I think.

Hey there Dust, thanks for the reply mate. I gather from your response that you have a very unique situation over there and I understand. The storage of narcotics is always a contentious issue and often inspires vigorous debate over what if's etc. While I'm sure if I was in a situation like Dust's I would probably do the same thing I feel it is not necessary to carry narcotics on your person when carrying out general EMS duties as many do. To me it's just another one of the 30 or so drugs that I carry except for the fact thats it's one of the safest. There are plenty of instances of methoxyflurane, entonox, benzodiazipine addiction amongst EMS staff, patients, their families, Dr's, nurses etc etc etc that may target our kits in those moments when we are not looking. So now I have a pocket for morphine, a pocket for methoxyflurane, a pocket for midazolam...........................hmm maybe I should consider the ketamine, haloperidol and promethazine as well. If any of these drugs goes missing there will be an investigation and as long as all the checks and balances have been carried out and you have nothing to hide then there should not be a problem. Anyway, I guess I'm just saying that I don't understand why people treat morphine as something special other than the obvious extra bit of documentation required according to local legislature.

Dust, I hope everything is going ok for you over there and you get through unscathed. You have both my respect and admiration.

Bushy, G'day mate! yes it has been a while. I've got a bit of breathing space between semesters to experience some freedom from the shackles of academia. Hope we can catch up soon.

what about those nifty vacuformed vinyl carriers that are meant to hold several large cigars at a time...would that work? Whats the tobacco consumption like over their anyway? Sorry if that hijacks the thread and what about a swift if sleepy end to the conflict by leaving vials of MS and syringes around for your friendly neighborhood RPG chuckers to find. Mmmmm...morphine. Kind saps you of your jihad I think.

Better yet, go out and buy some cigars that come in metal tubes like a Romeo y Julieta or however it is spelled. Get a couple of Churchills that come in metal tubes. They are waterproof and somewhat durable and are 7 inches long. You can also carry as many, or as few as you need to. Plus you have some great cigars too.

rj_churt.gif

I agree with you, Oz. I too am perplexed as to what the big deal is about MS in most cases. I would just as soon leave a few in the kit with everything else, and the rest in the clinic. But since they do make a big deal out of accountability, and I have to do a two-man count of all narcs daily. So really, the most convenient way to store them that assures both accountability and easy access is to simply stuff them all in my pocket. This big round pipe in me pocket is bulky and uncomfortablt though, so I am really appreciating all of these suggestions!

The fly case and the cigar case sound like the most practical solutions so far. I just wish I could go to the stores and fondle them personally before deciding which is best. The cigar tubes are indeed a great idea, one that I've used before in other places. But since I have ten whole syringes to carry, that would be a little bulky. They're perfect for keeing just a couple of tubex syringes in a kit though!

to answer your question; we in NYC*EMS at first used the Sharps Shuttle. It could do double duty if necessary. It should be long enough for the carpujets. Stay Safe.

How long have you been in NYC-EMS ??,, because I remember when we used to cram the Valium and Morphine into an empty insta glucose box and put it in our breast pocket.... then they got smart and went to the eye glass cases ....

to many UOR's from breakage LOL

I was with NYC*EMS from 1980 to 2002. After the glucose boxes crumble (about the 2nd tour) and medics had to account to the supv's why their shirts or pants were wet. Some smart medics at the Webster Outpost (the first 22) came up with the idea using the sharps shuttle. The suites in Maspeth (2nd floor) came up with the eye glass case and a couple pieces of foam for protection. I hope that gives you information. As for me if my "name" on this web site doesn't ring any bells for you. How about my original number: dispatcher 809 bx and manhattan.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.