What are you?

What are you  

27 members have voted

1. 1.

• EMT-B
    • FF
    • FF/EMT
    • FF/EMT-P

i am an EMT-p, or nremt-p, or a mict, or a ccemt-p, depending on what certification you happen to read with my name on it. my shirt says EMT because i really prefer to be a medic under cover.

what he said --- and to add -- not to put the fire side down -- but I remember the IAFF scrambling to figure out how they were going to keep FF jobs with such a good job they were doing with awareness and fire safety --- I remember my Dad coming home and talking about so and so being punished by being put on the ambulance for a month -- unfortunately there are still depts that use it as punishment --- and not many options for those of us that want nothing to do with the big red truck --- there are quite a few that want the engine and not the meat wagon -- that is why they joined an FD --- and just think they could be the ones that come for your loved ones

Paul

I agree with Paramedic Mike, I used to be with FD. I went into medical field, (my patients aren't on fire). I believe the F.D. has a definite role as a 1'st responder & rescue. Yes, there are some EMT's & Paramedics who has no desire to be associated with Fire Departments.

It wasn't that long ago, & still some services today, are strictly fire suppression. When city cuts & budgets was enforced, & the fire department needs good p.r. & productivity, they adopted EMS. But, I wonder how many are really interested in just the EMS. No rescue, no fire suppression, just strictly patient care. Do they give same benefits, career ladder, & pay as the non-fire suppression employees?

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

I am a firefighter/paramedic and instructor of each, currently working in Iraq. I noticed that EMT-B's were included as a single entity, but paramedics were not...they were only listed as ff/emtp's. I think you are leaving a large # of possible respondents out...and will not get an accurate accounting unless you include the many paramedics who are not firefighters. :) John

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.