What were the hands-on parts of your EMT-B class like?

bumpus

• 3 years later...

Maybe things are done differently in the states, but up here in the Canadian Equivalent (EMR) we had skills books that we had to get signed off for each item including the various splinting devices. This makes hands on time a must. As well we had access to 'play' with the equipment before and after classes as well as during our breaks.

My classes were the same way, from B to P. Speak up! Don't worry what others may think/say - this is about you being the best EMT you can be, and if that means she has to show you, then so be it. I know I am not the kind of person who figures things out from a diagram and a paragraph. Ask for time in your lab to "play". And don't be afraid to use that time, no matter how strange it might feel! Good luck!!!

• 6 months later...

We do a lot of self teaching in our class. The only time we had instructors hovering over us and holding our hands through the whole procedure was when we were practicing IVs for the first time. For everything else we basically are shown what the final product is and then we separate and practice on each other using our books. They come around and check the final product but we don't really have the means to have teachers helping all of us. So far i really do feel like we've gotten training that is up to par. And it kind of makes sense in a way. When you go out in the field you are going to have scenarios you have never seen and will have to teach yourself how to deal with it. As long as you think you got it right I think it's not that big of a deal. But you shouldn't be afraid to ask questions if you are really confused, and if your teacher won't offer you help you should find a new school.