yeast in blood????...????WTF

BUDS189

ok, this is new for me, have you heard of it? i am living in thailand with my thai wife. We took her father to see a thai doctor, he father had a stroke about 16 years ago, he is well. he smokes, and had developed a bad cough. the thai doctor told me he has yeast in his blood and canot eat bread anymore, keep in mind he eats bread once a week.... Rice is the meal here, lol. so what the hell is this about? is it real? have you ever heard of this before , or is just the typical thai doctors saying whatever they please? thank you.

ok, this is new for me, have you heard of it? i am living in thailand with my thai wife. We took her father to see a thai doctor, he father had a stroke about 16 years ago, he is well. he smokes, and had developed a bad cough. the thai doctor told me he has yeast in his blood and canot eat bread anymore, keep in mind he eats bread once a week.... Rice is the meal here, lol. so what the hell is this about? is it real? have you ever heard of this before , or is just the typical thai doctors saying whatever they please? thank you.

First off, how was this diagnosis made? You can get fungemia, but these people are generally pretty sick and immunocompromised. Here's a Wiki reference for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungemia

Hope this helps a little.

the doctor looked at him, and said to me, ohh he cannot eat bread any more because he has yeast in his blood.... DUH. i was like and how can you possible know this? no test.. typical thai.... he has had this cough for 2 months. the thai doctor also tried to put him on 3 yes 3 antibiotics at the same time. how can i help me poor old father in law....? thank you

the doctor looked at him, and said to me, ohh he cannot eat bread any more because he has yeast in his blood.... DUH. i was like and how can you possible know this? no test.. typical thai.... he has had this cough for 2 months. the thai doctor also tried to put him on 3 yes 3 antibiotics at the same time. how can i help me poor old father in law....? thank you

Find a good doctor.

Buds189-

http://www.medical-library.net/sites/frame...t_syndrome.html

Has your Father-n-law been on antibiotics lately? Often times to many can cause problems getting rid of the good bacteria by having more bad bacteria. Antibiotics also kill off the good ones.

Is there any signs of yeast in his mouth?

I believe rice goes from starch to sugar once in the system, so this could be a problem, but then it could be numerous problems and a doctor should run a full blood panel to be certain.

Probably best to get a 2nd opinion.

First off, how was this diagnosis made? You can get fungemia, but these people are generally pretty sick and immunocompromised. Here's a Wiki reference for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungemia

Hope this helps a little.

Agreed...... Systemic Fungal Infections are usually end stage infections, (blood bourn candidia albacans being the most common one that I know) As ERDOC stated these systemic infections are more typical found in ICU settings, and immunocompromised, the patients are usually in Septic shock (pre/post capillary type of distributive shock) generally "pretty sick" would be bit of an understatement.

But others do exsist.... ie Cryptococcus Neoformans is "one" a fungal pulmonary infection, this requires CXRAY and CBC complete blood counts for definitave Dx. S/S can be mucoid sputum, hemoptysis, dyspnea, and fever and typically asymtomatic, associated with soil enriched with pigeon droppings........ in CXRAY multiple nodules, diffuse infiltrates, bronchopulmonary pnemonias, and occasional cavitation and caseating granulomas.

I seriously doubt that just physical examination could be definitive, moreover restricting ones diet is not the prefered treatment....huh wtf? Besides the fact that bread yeastee weastee(s) are very different species than those that "do" affect the human body.

Frankly I believe this diagnosis is a load of bunk, that said, I am not an expert in this area, especially in the areas of tropical diseases.......sooo.

I too strongly suggest that you take your loved one to a Western based Medical Practitioner, I believe that ISOS has a Clinic in Bangkok? check out there website, look around or contact a consulate as they may assist you.

cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.