EMS T.V. Show

How would you feel about an EMS T.V Show  

42 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • I really dont care

The Firefighters amongst us will tell you, most times, a camera is no good, as the smoke is so thick, one cannot see their hand from in front of their face. Also, most movies and TV shows show the firefighters either kneeling, or standing up, when doing an "interior attack". My friends in firefighting tell me, simply, NO WAY, it's too hot, they're usually crawling on the floor, as the temperature is going to be much cooler down there. Plus, reading the sample "Learn not to burn" literature, there's probably more breathable Oxygen near the floor than even at a foot above that floor.

The problem with real fire shows is that dark buildings are not very interesting. Most fires are just that smoke filled dark places. Every exciting for the firefighter, but doesn't make for good TV.

Randy Mantooth is planning a new TV show about USAR-1, it Will be an EMS TV show...kinda like naval seals of EMS. Last time he was on our EMS radio show, he had said that we was presenting it to networks this winter and could see production as early as this fall.

Without saying too much, EMS Live has an interesting project in development that maybe of interest. Once we are further a long I will be able to share some details.

I too was influenced by Johnny & Roy. I was fortunate enough to be a Paramedic while it was still on the air. Yes, I remember having bi-carb cap challenges... ( if you don't understand, you are too young to remember) . The show did open the door of EMS as we have today. I am sure they were not aware of it at that time, but consultants such as Jim Page was a visionary of EMS.

Other shows such as 240- Robert. which was based the cavalier knights ( Sheriff/Paramedic/Rescue was popular as well. Then of the cavalcade of drama series.

Rescue 911 was not always appreciated by the EMS community. It was considered to "cheesy". I appeared on the show once for a call we ran on. Of-course the citizen got the credit for "saving" the persons life. I remember the producers wanted us to "run" to our rig. We refused, stating we never run.. man were they pissed.

Reality t.v. shows has at least shown some of the realistic effects of our profession. Although, public & future EMS perspectives, do not understand that it takes weeks to film to get the "right calls".

Now I wonder since the cancellation of 3'rd watch, what the new show will be ?

partners8.jpg

240cast100.jpg

I think it'd be great, but I also tend to think that a less documentary approach might be more beneficial to EMS as a whole.

It seems to me that many lay folk:

(1) Don't have much understanding of EMS

(2) Don't really want to understand it if it's anywhere near as gory as they think it might be.

..and so they often choose to assume a position of 'optimistic ignorance'; where they really don't want to know much but at the same time want to assume that the EMS folks that are there to help them deal with the unthinkable are well-paid, well-supported and generally faultless.

In a way this makes great sense....after all we all want our health care providers to be almost mechanized in their skill ability (and yet compassionate as saints at the same time). :D I think most folks presume the well-paid/well-supported/etc folk would be more likely to perform "better" than those who are trying to make a dollar out of 15 cents (both figuratively and literally).

Discovery Health's Paramedics is a good example of this phenomenon. I watch it intently, but my family leaves the room when it is on (or at least when the patients start screaming :D ). They simply don't want to see it if it's "too real". They also express a great deal of surprise when I tell them of the comparatively low pay, support issues, etc.

A tamed-down, more dramatic offering (along the lines of Rescue Me, etc ) might be more more palatable for the majority of TV viewers.... ...and certainly the personal/financial struggles of the EMS staff themselves (nobody can say we have normal lives LOL) would make for compelling watching as well.

Emergency was great in that it made people want to do this kind of thing. Wouldn't it be great if a new show would make ordinary folks appreciate and support us....insofar as to be come our advocates with the same degree of enthusiasm?

-Trevor

I would like to see an EMS show...but actually I wouldn't have enough time to watch it...I would love for someone to come up with an accurate depiction of EMS...honestly...that would be great...I hate the ignorance of ER and other shows like that...they depict the EMTs as ignorant little delivery men...that just pisses me off...it would be nice to see the actual truth out there...

I agree that we need to have a show like emergency that shows the EMS profession to the public what we actually do and not just drop off pts at the ER doorsteps. Now I know that this is a movie, a little dark and goth but it also shows a very true yet real side of EMS. It was done back in late 90's early 2000 I think Bringing out The Dead With Nicholas Cage.

Are you sure, you want to do that ? Look at some of the older post.. most medics, was not impressed with the show. Some displayed some unprofessional conduct & ill treatments.

May want to re-consider.. only a suggestion

Good Luck,

Ridryder 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.