Can you diagnose in the field?

Here's a puzzler for you, if the world hates the United States so much, how come we see so few returned foreign aide checks? If you really want to make a statement, don't go with the cliche burning of Uncle Sam in effigy, return our foreign aide money with a "No thanks!" attached. That'll really show us.
Respectfully, that's a dumb question. If you were starving on the street and a guy did whatever to make you hate him (maybe he was an assassin of little kids which made him rich), but then gave you money so you could eat and survive, would you return it to him? Not likely. You'd take it because it was the best alternative for you, but you still had full right to judge him for being a baby assassin :D

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Continuing to to parrot that old line doesn't ingratiate you to those of us who were here when it was true. And it certainly does not bode well for your potential to be a part of the future either. It is time to either get on board with the future of EMS or to get out altogether.

I wholeheartedly agree. I myself was taught when taking the basic class, that we as EMTs or Medics do not diagnose in the field, and we were actually made to repeat this at some length. After getting my medic certification, you can't help but realize that you HAVE to make a diagnosis in the field, whether you're a basic or a medic, you HAVE to know what your patient needs, whether they truly need ALS, or whether they truly need that breathing treatment.

The unfortunate thing is that Basics are still being taught this around here!! I make it a point however whenever I'm teaching them, in the back of the bus that is or during training sessions, that all that is basically B.S. and that we do in fact diagnose, and not to be afraid to put 2 and 2 together.

Where I primarily practice, so many people are afraid of change, but I guess that's how it is most places, I wouldn't know I have very little experience in different regions. It's like Dust said, get on board with the future or get out altogether!:-)

Dude, that is the least valid analogy I have heard here to date. :?

We're not talking about poor countries. Who even cares about what poor countries think?

There isn't a "poor" country on this continent. There may be a lot of poor people, but that is because their government is corrupt and mismanages their resources, not because the country is poor. And you should also notice that those countrie who actually have benevolent governments who take care of their people (Kuwait, UAE, Jordan) love us. Only those with repressed people hate us because that is what they have been brainwashed to believe. If you can make your people believe that it is the Infidels and their evil cultural imperialism that makes their lives miserable, you don't have to worry about them figuring out that YOU are the problem and overthrowing you.

And yes, they still take every dime from us they can get. Even those countries that hate us try to extort money from us (North Korea, Iran), even though Iran is far from poor.

I agree Dust. It is strange how they can criticize us while they still have their palms extended out to receive money.

Truthfully, we are the foolish ones, by continuing to extend financial help while still being stabbed in the back or being hated. Let their own countries support them for a while..

I believe many U.S. citizens are getting tired of supporting and helping others, only to get criticized and attacked by those we do help in return.

They appearantly do not know or understand .."don't bite the hand that feeds you!"...

R/r 911

Whoa, whoa, whoa. World Wars? How about European wars that we got involved in? Sure, we got there kind-of late in WWI, but I doubt anyone would discount the Dough Boys as being influential in ending that war. AND...had your countries listened to Wilson and his 14 points you might not have had Hitler corrupting the collective minds of the German people.

SECOND...Hitler? Appeasement anybody? Massive American invasion force while simultaneously fighting a war in the Pacific? Come on dude...if anyone here is preaching cultural imperialism it is you.

Edit: I'd like to also qualify this statement by including that in both wars, especially the first,other Allied nations had a considerable role in the victory. I feel many Americans often forget this fact.

I think it is about time for me to end this entire discussion by referencing my own post to envoke Godwin's Law. So long as you're not familar with Quirk's Exception this should work...

Bassically,

Godwin's Law states that:

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

This Theory bassically means that once such a comparison has been made the thread is only bound to degenerate. Also, it serves as a type of cap on thread lengths, because in any heated discussion the Nazi's will almost certainly be used for comparison.

So...thread over.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.