American Health & Safety Institute?

1EMT-P

Which program do you use for AED/CPR/FA training?  

11 members have voted

1. 1.

• 3. American Health & Safety Institute
    • 4. National Safety Council
    • 2. American Red Cross
    • 1. American Heart Association

Do any of you know anything about the American Health & Safety Institute's training programs?

Do any of you know anything about the American Health & Safety Institute's training programs?

I looked briefly at them several years back when they were first promoting their programmes. I didn't really examine them carefully out of an intent to utilise them. Just a curiosity thing, as I am always interested in seeing what is out there. All I recall is that they seemed very focused on workplace issues, which I found to be a positive thing.

The last place I was teaching formally, we used Medic First Aid International programmes for First Aid, CPR, and Bloodbourne Pathogens. Meh... I liked the way their information was presented in the materials and videos, but thought the material itself was sparse. It was, like AHSI, very focused upon workplace scenarios, which is good. But there wasn't even a section on burns at all. That is only one of the glaring omissions. I'm not sure how a programme could even meet OSHA approval like that. :?

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ASHI is a reputable source for BCLS and ACLS. I've reviewed and have had contact with them. AHA provides the science that is used. Some states mandate acutal group's merit badges. other require compliance to standards or "ACLS". AHA does not own the proprietary rights to "ACLS". Give ASHI a good look. Your service medical director or state EMS office may trump everything other than AHA. But again, I may be wrong

I checked into ASHI, and confirmed that their programs are accepted by the AHA. They do allow an instructor quite a bit of freedom in teaching, and you are more or less an independent contractor through them, although they do like for you to use their training materials. I am an ACLS instructor through AHA, and primarily teach ACLS through a hospital, but for all the other programs, they appear to be a good resource.