Freaking Out

PuzzlePiece

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get used to being judged. Its the only constant in this field. It sounds like you are a very dedicated student, and thats a good thing, but don't go the "I'm the bestest hardest working student out there EVER" route.

My only question is what the crew that you were working with was doing while you pulled off the save. Did they go out for coffee and let you run the show? Just curious.

Relax.

I don't mind being judged in the field... I mind being judged here... where I wanted to go to get support. I have no problem with judgement in the field... it's what makes me better at what I do.

As far as what the crew was doing, I was with a paramedic and another EMT-B. and the EMT-B was doing crowd control, screaming hysterical wife control and the paramedic was intubating while I did compressions and breaths. The 58-year-old gentleman went home two days later. No, I'd never felt ribs crack and separate from a sternum on my test dummies either. It was an eye-opener but it solidified my desire. I'm carrying my assessments with me everywhere and studying them diligently. My test dates were moved back, so I have more time to study and practice.

One thing you are going to need is thick skin.

If your easily offended, you will need to work on this.

Every time you discuss a run you were on expect every person within ear-shot to add his two cents and theories of how things should have run.

Always remember there is not always one cut and dry way to reach your goal.

In the house, out of the house.

In the ambulance, out of the ambulance.

En route or on scene.

Lights and siren, no lights and sirens.

Just cruise through some of the topics here. For the most part everyone has the best interest of the pt. at heart, its the path chosen which sometimes make these debates and discussions so heated.

Good luck.

I don't mind being judged in the field... I mind being judged here... where I wanted to go to get support. I have no problem with judgement in the field... it's what makes me better at what I do.

As far as what the crew was doing, I was with a paramedic and another EMT-B. and the EMT-B was doing crowd control, screaming hysterical wife control and the paramedic was intubating while I did compressions and breaths. The 58-year-old gentleman went home two days later. No, I'd never felt ribs crack and separate from a sternum on my test dummies either. It was an eye-opener but it solidified my desire. I'm carrying my assessments with me everywhere and studying them diligently. My test dates were moved back, so I have more time to study and practice.

Okay, so breaking people's ribs and hysterical wives just roll off your back, but taking tests and people saying less than supportive things to you on the internet get you bent out of shape. Well, I guess we all have our hang ups.

One thing you are going to need is thick skin.

If your easily offended, you will need to work on this.

What's funny is that IN PERSON I have terribly thick skin. Maybe I'm just portraying myself in the wrong light. Maybe lack of sleep is making me punchy and bitchy. They cancelled my practice for boards... which just means that I'm missing out on that which I need most, which is two quality hours of doing assessments. I only paid $805 for the class... no biggie.

Puzzlepiece: What you need to do is gain control of your emotions. Although you are not, you present yourself as someone who is dramatic and as you stated in the title of this thread...freaking out! You will do better in time. Take the advice youve got her and put it to use.

Somedic

Alright, PuzzlePiece... I have been very patient with you and this topic. For some reason, others are coddling you and holding back from confronting you with the bottom line, so I'll do it.

Are you hott?