Freaking Out

PuzzlePiece

NBSP: Keep carrying that flaming torch.

iadybug423: You seem to fit the spirit of what we are looking for in our department. Although I did not mean to imply that EMTs are inferior. Its capability and what the patient needs really. What I would suggest to everyone that is in EMT class or recently ceritified is to consider that just a start in this field.

You seem to be trainable and pleasant in your correspondence with others (unlike myself) and that will help you as well. Good luck to you and keep us posted on how things are going.

Somedic

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I do not think EMT-B courses produce EMTs that are competent and ready for the field".

In your opinions & experience, what makes a good or exceptional EMTB?

An exceptional EMT is one that has a decent working knowledge of anatomy and physiology so that they can actually understand what their assessment is telling them. Unfortunately, the EMT-B program lacks in this area significantly so what people are coming out of the class with is not sufficient to meet the demands. My advice to those that want to be a great EMT is to go take an anatomy and physiology course at your local college. When you can talk anatomy and physiology, you can talk the universal language of medicine.

Shane

NREMT-P

Medic001918: I agree that A+P classes help but no amount of it will prepare a new EMT for the realities of the street.

Somedic

The only thing that will do that is a required internship akin to a medical residency. Not this 'do 1 or 2 ride alongs and basically observe the what the basics/paramedics do' crap. A "you will spend the next month or two working with certified basics being a basic (assessing, treating, documenting, etc) as an integral part of a team, not as an observer that will be there for 1, maybe 2 shifts."

I think that a decent working knowledge of A&P with greatly help the EMT. But I think The biggest thing that the EMT and Medic need is more hands on. Be it doing ride-a-longs or shadowing a Dr. in the Emergency Room. I also feel they need to learn what questions to ask and how to ask them in a way that will help them and the patient be more comfortable and still get your SAMPLE and OPQRST done with out sounding like your are reciting a book to your patient and know how to interpet the response from the patient.

Great,

Thank you everyone for your guidance and support.

At the moment I am not certified in the State of Fl, but am NREMT-B and am waiting on all my paperwork to be processed so I can take the test here.

Can I do ride alongs not being certified in the State of Fl, and if so How do I go about doing that before I get an EMT job?

A&P is an excellent. Although I had it a few years back, I could use the refresher so I will be looking into that.

I wouldn't mind riding as an observer and learning the ropes before being highered, infact I would prefer that.

iadybug: I cant speak on Florida EMS with any credibility but ridealong programs tend to vary from department to department. You may have good luck in finding a department to ride with or you may not...Keep researching the services in your area.

Good Luck

Somedic

I agree with a lot of ppl but we have all been a student. yes we all might handle stress differently. But the thing is that u cannot freak out. do that in the field, if you pass your boards, and you will need a good lawyer to deal with the family of the person you killed because u didnt provide care for the patient. EMS is not for everyone. Sitting in a classroom and actually seeing it in person in the field and treating it is a major difference. like wat was said before re-evaluate your decision before u waste your time tryin to go to career which u wont make it and possibly kill someone.

Crap huh?..thats a great way to view an important-critical aspect of our profession. Im wondering just how you would actually be on the streets with your drama queen demeanor..(Sorry AK). Do yourself and those you may harm (if you pass) a favor.

Assess yourself for any future in this most noble work. Would you be better off as a cosmetologist, telemarketer, or used car sales person, or any job with out the EMS stress?

Also assess yourself academically and level with yourself on if you have the intellectual capacity to constanly seek new information, training, and education. I personally have been in EMS/Military medicine for 19 years combined and Im still a student in this field.

This field may not be for you. I hope you dont kill anyone or get yourself and your partner killed before you come to realize this.

With every best wish,

Somedic

First of all... yes, BOARDS are crap. I have signed for extra ride-alongs, I LOVE the job, I have a save under my belt and I'm a STUDENT. Don't preach to me that I can't handle the stress... both of the supervisors that I have worked with have commented on my calm... even when someone coded right in front of me on my second call EVER. I am currently a dispatcher for a federal police department and if I don't keep my cool, the people I dispatch for WILL die. I currently have a 98% in my EMT-B class and am the most dedicated student you or anyone else will EVER have. I WANT this job, I'm just f*cking freaking out that if I f*ck up my BOARDS, I won't be able to do what I want... which is to be in the field. I'm the first to get dirty and the last to leave. Don't judge me on some flippant comment I made... you don't even KNOW me. I came here for support, not to be judged.