PA EMT's and Medics.....do you have the EMS Specialty Plate?

Emilea PA C

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm naive, which is a distinct possibility...I've been doing this for over a year, and my mom has been in EMS for 22 years, so I would say I have a pretty good feel for how things work. My question is, everyone in here is talking about a duty to act if you see an accident, but how many of you could drive by a bad accident if you saw one? I don't get the logic that if you saw an accident with the potential of injury you wouldn't atleast stop and check on the occupants of said vehicles. This excludes fender benders, or silly little accidents, but if I saw a significant MVA, I don't think I would have to worry about a "duty to act" I would act. Now granted, you're limited (atleast I am) to a pair of gloves and whatever napkins I can pull out of my glove box. However, I think offering first aid, calling 9-1-1 and holding c-spine until providers with equiptment show up is not much to ask of an EMT/Medic. Maybe that's just me...

I totally agree, why would you become an emt and not want to help people off duty of not??? If you see an MVA it should be your duty to act not a law. If you were in a bad MVA and an ambulance drove by because he wasnt dispatched to the call what would you think(besides how to get that crew fired)?

I totally agree, why would you become an emt and not want to help people off duty of not??? If you see an MVA it should be your duty to act not a law. If you were in a bad MVA and an ambulance drove by because he wasnt dispatched to the call what would you think(besides how to get that crew fired)?

For some of us, EMS is a job, not a lifestyle. Just like most computer technicians don't get overwhelmed by the urge to run and help random people with their Microsoft nightmares, many of us don't salivate at the prospect of crawling around other people's wrecks off duty.

It's a job, people. Not a lifestyle. Not a calling. Not a hobby. Just a job.

For some of us, EMS is a job, not a lifestyle. Just like most computer technicians don't get overwhelmed by the urge to run and help random people with their Microsoft nightmares, many of us don't salivate at the prospect of crawling around other people's wrecks off duty.

It's a job, people. Not a lifestyle. Not a calling. Not a hobby. Just a job.

yes but a computer technician is totally different, people arent dieing because theyre somputer4s arent working, You dont take a 6 month course just for a really really low pay job. It isnt about the money for most people(we dont make enough for it to be), it is a lifestyle for a lot of us

If you didn't learn English in twelve (?) years of public school, I have no confidence whatsoever in your ability "save lives" with six months of night school.

If EMS is your lifestyle, do yourself a favour. Kill yourself now.

If you didn't learn English in twelve (?) years of public school, I have no confidence whatsoever in your ability "save lives" with six months of night school.

Now that was funny!... You know, I can tell those that do it for a living and those that don't. It does not mean we (that do it for a living) don't take our job seriously, rather ride with me for a tour of 24 on/ 24 off for 3 tours and get about anywhere from 2 hours to 30 hours of sleep dependent on the number of calls. The "new" wears off fast and turn off those %!#** sirens at 3 am... after a few nights and days of sleep deprivation, one sees it is just a job.. and no I don't stop at MVC's off duty! .. I stopped that non-sense about 15 years ago.. (hey, it only took me 14 years, to see what a putz I was by doing so). So yes, I have a RN & Paramedic logo on my car.. not for stopping rather for avoiding those unwanted stops on the highway and turnpikes..lol. :lol:

R/r 911

:lol::lol: that's funny Dust.

Rid, well put. :)

I have no markings/plates on my vehicle that identifies me as an EMT.

If you were in a bad MVA and an ambulance drove by because he wasnt dispatched to the call what would you think(besides how to get that crew fired)?

Because that ambulance that is responding to another call should stop what it's doing and help out at the accident. Of course this would delay care for the call that the ambulance was dispatched for, but what the hell, you get to stop at an accident.

Because that ambulance that is responding to another call should stop what it's doing and help out at the accident. Of course this would delay care for the call that the ambulance was dispatched for, but what the hell, you get to stop at an accident.

I can tell many have never worked at CAD systems, and if one was to stop and render care, then they could be held negligible for time delay to the initial call.... many systems only allow those in that assigned area to respond to calls.

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.