PA EMT's and Medics.....do you have the EMS Specialty Plate?

Emilea PA C

Who knows? All I know is that is where I see myself in 10 years as of right now!

You could see yourself there in four years if you put your mind to it. This EMT nonsense is only going to slow you down and cost you a lot of money. And if you aren't ready to give it one-hundred percent, then you should admit to yourself right now that it isn't for you and move on before you waste anymore of your life. And our time.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not safe to pull your car off the side of the road to help someone out when kids are in the car. Yep I can understand that. But if your kid's safety is important (as it should be), what's with the handgun?

I guess I just don't understand the 'American Gun Mentality' (meant in the nicest possible way). But that's a whole other can o' worms.

Cheers.

And Now for the rest of the news...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Guns are Kewl...you should carry several and lots of ammo for those whackers who have madness and mahem on their twisted minds.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

It's not safe to pull your car off the side of the road to help someone out when kids are in the car. Yep I can understand that. But if your kid's safety is important (as it should be), what's with the handgun?

I guess I just don't understand the 'American Gun Mentality' (meant in the nicest possible way). But that's a whole other can o' worms.

Cheers.

I have a general rule. I don't debate guns, abortion, or same sex marriage...and I'm now adding flu shots to that list :lol:

Rationale for stating becoming an EMT is a means to an end.....

Let's work backwards. The end is my becoming a physician's assistant in either an emergency department or on a trauma OR team.

In order to get to that end, I must first become a Physician's Assistant. (almost a check -- this is still in progress)

In order to get more "field experience" and to survey if I really do want to spend the rest of my life in emergency medicine (let's face it....it's not for everyone!! Y'all here should know that!), I'd like to become a paramedic.

In order to become a paramedic, I must first become an EMT.

So, in that sense and reasoning, becoming an EMT is, for me, a means to an end.

Here's my advice, and I say this not because I don't like you or I have a great need to keep people away from becoming a paramedic, but I say this because its my honest belief. I also say this as a guy who has spent his share of time at the university level studying. If you want to be a paramedic, be a paramedic. If you want to be a PA, be a PA. One is not going to help the other. No physician that I know of will really give a crap if you spent XYZ hours working as a paramedic. Maybe you could get some experience points and it would look good on the resume, but other than that being an EMT or paramedic is not going to help your career. Not only will it not help much, but especially at the EMT level, you put yourself at a risk of being in a career killing incident. All you have to do is get embroiled in one lawsuit, or contact one minor but incurable bloodborne disease, and you can wave bye bye to any career in medicine. I've considered going the PA route, and who knows, maybe when I decide to grow up I'll take that route, but if I went and applied, right now, I wouldn't be looked at as an educated and fairly experienced paramedic, I'd be looked at a guy who's been out of school for a couple of years with a bad knee and a worse attitude, and not much more. Just my advice.

So what if you're one of those people that just can't settle with one job. Or maybe you just havn't found your place yet. Every field has different specialities and angles, as does the medical field. There are different types of lawyers as there are different types of bankers - all of which fluctuate in salary.

Here's what I know, I want to become a paramedic, and I have been enjoying my time as a EMT. So that's exactly what I'm doing. But what I also know is that I can't be doing such a physically taxing job as I get older. I've got a lot of respect for some of the old-timers still working on the streets, but I just don't see how they do it. Another thing, as you all know, this salary just doesn't cut it. Whether I decide to become a RN, PA, or even MD later on (as some of you are discussing) it's because it's a job that's in the same field that earns the salary and won't break my back in the future years. (And right now, I just don't want to be anything other than paramedic) :roll:

"In order to get more "field experience" and to survey if I really do want to spend the rest of my life in emergency medicine (let's face it....it's not for everyone!! Y'all here should know that!), I'd like to become a paramedic."

Why don't you become a RN for your "field experience?" Of perhaps you should become a PA for "experience" before going to medical school. It really doesnt work that way. Becoming an EMT or Paramedic is not a question of advancement into other area's, it's a choice. If you're becoming an EMT because you think it's just a step in becoming a PA, RN, etc, then you should probably re-evaluate. Like 2 leads said, if you want to become a PA, then do it. Why become a paramedic in between? The only reason I see of one becoming a paramedic is because you actually like the profession. And the only reasons I can think of why people move on is because of $$$, change in interests, and age.

Not that I feel the need to "air my laundry", but I'm going to do so anyways!

Due to financial restraints, I can not persue my schooling on a full time basis right now. So, instead of sitting around wasting time! I have decided to do something about it. I have decided to get my hands wet in a medical field, that field being EMS.

As I posted earlier, it's a means to an end.....maybe once I have my basic certification I will fall in love with being a basic and that will be the end of my schooling (meaning no more PA school.....I know that I have con-ed's, etc.)

As of 11/16/06 @ 12:31pm, I want to eventually be a PA.......but I know that it's going to take time.

I also know that being an EMT and/or paramedic isn't a requirement to becoming a PA. Similarly, being a PA isn't a prerequisite to becoming an MD.

And, another point, all of you who are older and wiser.........has there ever been a decision that you have made that has turned out to be the wrong decision? I think that the answer is yes. Bottom line is I want to be an EMT now and I want to be a PA later.....that's my decision.

Enough said.....

And, another point, all of you who are older and wiser.........has there ever been a decision that you have made that has turned out to be the wrong decision? I think that the answer is yes.

Absolutely! That is exactly why we are qualified to give such advice.

Been there. Done that.

And you, Grasshopper, are not yet ready to leave the Temple.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.