PA EMT's and Medics.....do you have the EMS Specialty Plate?

Emilea PA C

I'm on a roll today. QUICK! Someone ask me another one that I can actually answer.

http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/health/l...4so_(02-04).pdf

(for some reason the (02_04).pdf part isn't a "link", but you do need to put that in the address bar of your browser)

oh and btw.. according to the squad legal-eagle, there's no indication of a "duty to act" based on vehicle markings. That would be, in his words, "like having a star of life tattoo (no comments please, I don't), walking down the beach, and being compelled to provide first aid all day long".

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have EMT plates in NY. I got them because I am proud of my job (I work (paid), and volly).

Before I got them I wrote 2 letters. 1) To the Bureau of EMS 2) to the DMV.

The basic idea of the letter was. I am interested in getting EMT plates but before I do I want to know of any legal ramifications. Such as a duty to act, etc.

You get the idea. The answer from both was NO. Now you ask what if I leave the state. Then what. IE it's my understanding the VT has a duty to act rule for EMTs and up. If you see something you must act on duty or off. What happens there. No change, I'm not a VT EMT so I can drive by with no harm to me.

Moral's is another story.

In either case write a letter to the powers that be and find out the real story. It will very state to state.

As to your orignal question. Call the DMV and ask how to go about getting EMS plates if the DOH says they have no idea.

DCMed,

THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!

That is exactly what I was looking for! For whatever reason my internet searching skills were absent last evening! I appreciate the effort!

To those of you who think that because someone has some mark to this profession on their vehicle that denotes them as EMT, Paramedic, MD, RN, whatever.....they are obligated and required to stop to render assistance --- YOU'RE WRONG! Atleast in the commonwealth of PA!

As previoulsy posted, you may have a personal moral obligation to render care, but then you are opening yourself up to a whole can of liability worms! We live in a litigious (sp?) society. I prefer to render treatment under the generous liability insurance of my volunteer organization and (once I complete my basic training) my employer!

Again, as previously posted, I am getting this plate because I am proud of what I do. And, for some crazy reason, I don't mind being associated with a bunch of rude, crude, and HILARIOUS people! (<--- JOKE!)

The problem is that in some states any medical provider has a duty to act regardless of being on duty or not. The problem, of course, is identifying exactly which cars passing the accident have a medical provider inside. Such markings puts a big target on your car.

Maybe I'm naive, which is a distinct possibility...I've been doing this for over a year, and my mom has been in EMS for 22 years, so I would say I have a pretty good feel for how things work. My question is, everyone in here is talking about a duty to act if you see an accident, but how many of you could drive by a bad accident if you saw one? I don't get the logic that if you saw an accident with the potential of injury you wouldn't atleast stop and check on the occupants of said vehicles. This excludes fender benders, or silly little accidents, but if I saw a significant MVA, I don't think I would have to worry about a "duty to act" I would act. Now granted, you're limited (atleast I am) to a pair of gloves and whatever napkins I can pull out of my glove box. However, I think offering first aid, calling 9-1-1 and holding c-spine until providers with equiptment show up is not much to ask of an EMT/Medic. Maybe that's just me...

Coach, if i'm out in my car, odds are I have one or both of my kids with me. That being the case, I would not stop at any scene for any reason, especially a wreck on a highway or busy road. If I was alone it would depend on the circumstances and how safe the scene appeared to be.

Coach, if i'm out in my car, odds are I have one or both of my kids with me. That being the case, I would not stop at any scene for any reason, especially a wreck on a highway or busy road. If I was alone it would depend on the circumstances and how safe the scene appeared to be.

Two good points, I didn't take either of those into consideration. Not being a father myself, I guess it's easy to overlook. Safety wise...I try to do that on every scene, so I guess I wouldn't think much of it either way.

To those of you who think that because someone has some mark to this profession on their vehicle that denotes them as EMT, Paramedic, MD, RN, whatever.....they are obligated and required to stop to render assistance --- YOU'RE WRONG!

But it does still make you a whacker. :|

But if 120 hours of night school is the biggest thing you have to be proud of in your life, then you have bigger problems than being a whacker, I suppose.

Oh, Dust.....that post made it inevitably clear that you do not live in SW PA! There are only two paid departments within a 75 miles radius of my house; there are well in excess of 100 departments within that same radius. This is a breeding ground for tried and true whackerism!

And as an aside to your sarcastic (and quite frankly demeaning) remark regarding 120 hours of night school -- the gentleman that enlightened me to the existance of this plate, even going as far as showing me his POV, is the medical director for three local ambulance services.....I'm darn near sure that he has more than 120 hours of night school under his belt.

Yes, I am proud of the fact that as a 21 year old I have decided on a career that I see fitting - emergency medicine. Becoming an EMT is simply a means to an end. I am currently enrolled in a Physician's Assistant program. Upon completion of that program, I hope to find work in an ED. If not an ED, I hope to be assistanting in a trauma center's operating room.

For those who are outside the state of PA and haven't seen the plate I am referencing, it's nothing bold, obnoxious, or even highly noticable.

Anybody that has actually seen the plate care to weight in?

MMy question is, everyone in here is talking about a duty to act if you see an accident, but how many of you could drive by a bad accident if you saw one? I don't get the logic that if you saw an accident with the potential of injury you wouldn't atleast stop and check on the occupants of said vehicles. ..... but if I saw a significant MVA, I don't think I would have to worry about a "duty to act" I would act. Now granted, you're limited (atleast I am) to a pair of gloves and whatever napkins I can pull out of my glove box. However, I think offering first aid, calling 9-1-1 and holding c-spine until providers with equiptment show up is not much to ask of an EMT/Medic. Maybe that's just me...

Best example I can come up with...driving in Philly with a girl both of us just back from a Banquet and close to getting on the highway to go home. We are within eye shot of trauma center X and see moderate speed MVC between to cars, its about 11p at night in Center City...what do you do? The light turned green and I kept on driving.

Why didn't I stop? I could write a list a mile long, sometimes you just don't stop.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.