PA EMT's and Medics.....do you have the EMS Specialty Plate?

Emilea PA C

To those of you who live/work/play in PA,

Does anybody out there have the EMS specialty license plate from PennDOT? I went to their web-site to get the plate and it says to contact the main office of your organization. DOH doesn't seem to know what the heck I'm talking about; neither does EMSI!

If anybody out there has the plate, where in flippin' nation did you get the application??

TIA, Emilea

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do get the plates be sure your prepared to stop for anything you come across.

You come across a accident or something to that effect & fail to stop with these plates

you will pay the price.......You don't need lights & special tags on your vehicle to do

your job .You have emts out there playing cops just because they have lights & a badge :roll:

Thumper,

I'm not sure that I follow your reply. Do you mean that because I were to have a license plate on my vehicle that had the star of life and the wording "Emergency Medical Services" that would obligate myself to stopping if someone were in trouble?

A few questions to ponder:

If my step-father, who has no medical training & would probably faint at the sight of blood, is driving my car and comes upon an accident he's obligated to stop because of an EMS plate?

I am driving down the road and come across an accident. I have no jump bag, no pocket mask, no gloves, you get the point! Do I still stop and "render care?"

I'm not looking for the red emergency services vehicle tags that you would find on a fire truck or an ambulance; these plates look identical to "normal" PA plates, just with a star of life on the right and the numbers on the left.

If you do get the plates be sure your prepared to stop for anything you come across.

You come across a accident or something to that effect & fail to stop with these plates

you will pay the price.......quote]

That doesn't make a single bit of sense, and doubt has any legal ground to stand on.

Lets put it this way. If you put any marks on your personal vehicle identifying you as an EMT, be prepared to open yourself up to a world where any person, regardless of age, sex, or mental stability can take down a license plate and call the board of health or even the local news and make your life miserable, no matter who's driving your car or your circumstances for your actions. I pretty much view EMT plates as the legal equivalent of "kick me!" signs taped on your back, but I guess people have some reason for having them, kinda like MD plates.

The plate s/he is talking about is a personalized license plate, which has a Star of Life inside the Keystone, and instead of the state's website on the bottom of the tag, it says EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES. It does NOT mean there is an obligation to stop; that's only if the tag says EMERGENCY VEHICLE.

Interpretation: Some states describe that having any identification on your auto, etc.. as identifying your self as an EMT may obligate you to stop as you are presenting yourself as having a "duty to act" ' otherwise, why have a star of life on your vehicle?

Some states do not enforce it.. again, where others might... but why chance it... if you don't plan on stopping or being a "whacker"?

R/r 911

I'm in PA. If I am off duty and in my personal vehicle I have no obligation to stop and render aide to anyone, anywhere. Doens't matter if I have a giant sticker on my rear bumber that says 'PARAMEDIC ON BOARD' or an EMS vanity plate issued by PENNDOT. If anyone knows differently I'd be interested in seeing a link to that law.

As it stands my car is without markings. I live and work in the same area so I don't want my car to stand out to some whacko who may recognize me from a call. I see a lot of drunks, druggies, and just plain nutty people in the course of my daily duties. I have run into more than one of them off duty as well. That is why my car, and clothing, never reflects my career. It is also part of the reason I carry a handgun while off duty.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.