IV Practice

echo-000

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my EMT-I class we practiced on eachother all the time.. however to begin with we started on a manequin arm and hand.... the first time I had a student give me an IV they ended up hitting my artery and it put me in the ER because I had gone into shock... but it's great experience, however very different from giving an iv out in the field or in the truck... you also don't always get pt's with the perfect veins and access sites as I'm sure you know... working in a city you get a lot of drug users who have barely any veins at all... but as I said it's great experience and I think it's great that students are allowed to practice on one another.

When I was in class, we had to start IV's on eachother. We had to have at least 15 successful IV starts in the classroom, and 5 on the class ambulance. It was interesting to say the least. No one wanted to come to class after the first week. IM and SQ were practiced on dummies, because it isn't such a good idea to inject anything into your muscles or subcutaneous tissue unless it is necessary (i.e., saline is NOT a good idea- tried this one day).

The new medic class just started and I went in on Thursday to show my support. I got stuck 4 times, and every single person dug around for awhile before they hit me. I actually had one guy digging for five minutes with an 18g on the radial side of my wrist (OW) for 5 minutes before I gave in and drew with pen on my arm where the vessel was. He got it then... :)

• 3 weeks later...

As weird as it may sound, but my Intermediate class could not start IV's on each other. Supposedly the law changed in the beginning of this year saying that students are not allowed to stick students. However my paramedic class could, only if we signed consent to get stuck. I hate IM's more than anything.

The student that stuck me practically let got of the needle mid air and then grabbed it as soon as it stuck me. Scared me half to death.