1. 1.

• Yes i will or already have.
    • No, I'm healthy and I don't need one.
    • No, I'm not able to recieve the shot due to an allergy
    • No, the vaccine is not available to me or i can not afford it
    • No, I'm more likely to get the flu from the flu shot

Just another question...

As for those who answered YES to the poll:

did you get it bezause YOU wanted to be protected?

OR

because your JOB requires or expects you to get it?

Flu shot is usually up to the individual, but working in health care, so many others are manditory or you're out of a job. I totally disagree about the benefits of all of the immunizations that we are "stuck" with, but I go along with it and get my regular shots because we have to. So, any time I get to opt out of a shot, I do so very happily.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this statement is true or not because I haven't researched it, but....

My medical control doctor informed me that the Flu shot only protects against the respiratory components of the flu, not the G.I. problems. It is only good to keep you from dying from flu caused pneumonia or respiratory failure. You can still get the flu w/ nausea/vomiting/ diarrhea/fever/aches/ pain.

That would explain why some people still get ill after recieving the vaccine.

Amen to you too "Relish" Thanx for your input..its nice to know I'm not alone out here...I'm sure lots think that I'm a delusional paranoid wacko! You said it right, its time to take charge of our own well being and stop treating the physicians like demi-gods....they are just people...some good at what they do and some not so good...Big business? Definetly!! Push what they get told to push which pads the pocket...Definetly!! I need say no more...Again Thanx

TTYL

I don't know if this statement is true or not because I haven't researched it, but....

My medical control doctor informed me that the Flu shot only protects against the respiratory components of the flu, not the G.I. problems. It is only good to keep you from dying from flu caused pneumonia or respiratory failure. You can still get the flu w/ nausea/vomiting/ diarrhea/fever/aches/ pain.

That would explain why some people still get ill after recieving the vaccine.

The flu shot is meant to protect you from Influenza. The nausea, vomiting, diarrhea illness is not Influenza. The common cold is not Influenza. If you want to learn more check out http://www.cdc.gov/flu/

It's a government site so use a public computer so they can't trace it back to you. :wink:

I stopped trying to convince my co workers that the flu shot can't give you the flu.

Chicken Pox is now deadly to children and parents who don't allow the vaccine are endangering their children and others children by allowing them to be exposed to it. I had it, I'm sure you've all had it - and are still here reading this!

Ever heard of shingles? Do you know how you get shingles? Any idea how painful they are? Ever have a patient that was suffering from chronic pain as a result of shingles? Do you think narcotics relieve that pain? :?:

If the Varicella vaccine had been available to me as a child I wouldn't have this giant crater like scar above my eye. I also wouldn't have had searing pain on the tip of my nose for two weeks (felt like someone ripped up my skin with sandpaper and dumped salt on it for two weeks).

Dude, Zoster on the nose is bad news! Half of those get sent for an opthamology consult. The ones that get correctly diagnosed, that is. :? I treat several Zoster patients a month, and they are the one patient I never can get adequate pain control in without totally gorking them.

Anyhow, this is yet another topic that only proves that college level microbiology should be a prerequisite for every level of EMS education.

Dude, Zoster on the nose is bad news! Half of those get sent for an opthamology consult. The ones that get correctly diagnosed, that is. :? I treat several Zoster patients a month, and they are the one patient I never can get adequate pain control in without totally gorking them.

Anyhow, this is yet another topic that only proves that college level microbiology should be a prerequisite for every level of EMS education.

The worst part was going to the pharmacy to fill the Valtrex prescription. I kept hearing a commercial in my head.."Genital herpes got you down? Try Valtrex!" :oops:

AMEN!!! WOW !! A healthcare web forum, announcing pharmaceuticals does not work and trying to establish paranoia attitude the "Government is out to get us"...

Don't know what is in them, read the ingredients. Sure, you may get a little achy .. remember you are getting injected with a mild viral form... does it protect you 100%.. no !... nothing does. Yes, you have to take precautions, and yes eat healthy, boost immunity levels.. etc.

When this winter and the flu hits... and there is about an 8 hour waiting time, don't whine .. don't comlain and tell me how bad you feel, or Oh God..This is awful!.. The same crap I heard 2 years ago, when people ignored the vaccine and we had no rooms left in the hospital, and patients stayed in the ER for 3 days....and the children and elderly were dropping like flies.

The kid without immunizations, it is a shame the parents cannot be charged with neglect... let the kid get tetanus, and as he has seizures and muscle tetany so much it actually fractures bones.. or when gets measles and is still in incubation phase and exposes and spreads them to a pregnant woman and then the child is born blind, we can personally thank them!...Maybe he can get the mumps as well, and his testicles can swell up like grapefruits, and then he becomes sterile..... well at least he won't be producing any more of their ignorant genetics! Yeah, let's vote them as "parents of the year!"... their so loving...

Ignorance is blessed, stupidity is not. Immunizations, are an important part of providing health care and is one of the main keys in preventing diseases to spread and reach pandemic portions. One might want to review the polio epidemic era...not that long ago.. anyone remember the iron lung?

There are very few pharmaceutical companies that make immunizations, so there goes the "lining the pocket theory" and why there is more a shortage. Immunizations are much less in profit margin than let's say medications post exposure (i.e antibiotics). I can assure you pharmaceutical companies can make more money off you sick than you being well..... yeah, use common sense.

R/r 911

I got mine. Not only do I want to lessen my chances of getting sick, remember flu shot doesn't work on ALL strains, but I want to lessesn my chances of being a carriers of the flu and passing it on to my co-workers and patients.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.