How to flow smoothly and not be a klutz?

AnthonyM83

I had a newbie drop the cot on my foot because he said ready down when i wasn;'t looking and pulled the release...thank goodness no pt was on there but it hurt! We run a 6 week probie class for new volunteers where they learn the ropes and dont get to ride. They meet every friday night so its a good comitment and they have to do well and not miss a class...usually they are calm and chill when they finish...if not i yell at them when we get back to the house....i grew up in a military like house so yelling comes natural...

tc everyone

style7,oh-spc-my-dot--dot--dot-NaNa.png

We've got some guys on our service who are like that. They don't pay attention to if the other person is ready to lift the cot. I've found that "Hold on just a sec. Ok, I'm ready, and we'll go up on the count of 3." works really well to slow them down, let them know that I'm not ready and when I am ready. It keeps me from getting injured and is a polite way to tell the fool to slow down no matter who is within hearing distance. :lol:

true but yelling at them is more fun :lol:

our method is put them under a ton of stress in the begining with drills and training...make them flustered and nervous and then once they realize they know what they're doin...they handle real calls much better....

Myself personally I know that I walk slower than most with the stretcher so to overcome being run over - I either push back on the stretcher or come to a complete stop in front of it so my partner gets the hint - or if I feel like it :P and have the room - let the stretcher go infront of me while I stay to the side and guide it from there. By the time I'm next to my partner they get the hint that they were going way to fast.

Also if my partner is a head of me on something I say "wait" or "just one sec" - usually works. Lifting the stretcher is a big one that you both have to be ready for - who cares if he's ready to lift - if you're not ready or have to rush then you shouldn't do the lift right then. You could end your career by going to fast with lifts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.