Do you still study?

BUDS189

Working in the field, do you find yourself depleted of study time or the lack thereof to study? I try to give myself a couple hours of study time a day (if applicable) to review my books and notes. how about you own personal study habits?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I probably spend a couple hours a day studying, at least. It's hard if you think of it as studying though. When you do that, you find yourself procrastinating too much and worrying about getting interrupted. The way I do it is sort of in-line with my patient contacts. When I see a patient with a condition that I feel I could use an update or more information on, I hit the books immediately after releasing him. Then the situation is current and relevant, which guides my study. Usually fifteen to twenty minutes at a time, but after several patients each day.

As for putting time aside strictly for study, again, it's hard to find that time when you work 18 hours a day, seven days a week, but I do about twice a week. Usually it will be something that I see very rarely and don't get to stay current on, and I'll devote an hour or so to it. And once a week we have an hour-long orthopaedic casting in-service from one of the ortho surgeons that is excellent.

I can tell you that if my day consisted of a lot of sitting on me fat arse at the fire hall and doing nothing, I would get a lot more studying done. Unfortunately, in my experience, those are the ones who study the least.

Not nearly as often as i should and always at the last minute..i seriously have to change my ways..

But then again...what do you define as "study"??

I use Dustdevil's approach, though not as much as I could or should. When I have an interesting case or something I haven't seen before I like to take notes afterwards on specifics and then cross reference the condition, symptoms, treatments, etc. with information in my texts, protocols, and even online. Once in a while I'll even type one up for everyone here at EMT City.

If I'm not exhausted, I'll study during my downtime.

I used to have hour blocks sometimes, but now usually 15 - 20 minute blocks.

My partner usually goes in to watch TV, and I get made fun of for staying in the ambulance re-reading my EMT book (then I'm hoping to find a paramedic text at the library?). I actually do need to remember to just relax every now and then, though.

I'm also looking for some kind of nursing resource. Sometimes during IFTs nurses throw out half a dozen terms or acronyms rapid fire. If I ask them what they mean (usually just choosing one item per IFT), they look at me like I'm retarded. It's apparently the most common term for them in the hospital, but it's nothing related to EMS so why would I know? Any book recommendations?

I wish my partner were more into increasing his knowledge (not that he wasn't a good EMT student, but we have different goals...and I guess different influences...he's not on this board). Talking about topics helps keep them fresh for me, especially obscure ones you don't see often. Least he's supportive though...just doesn't want to spend his time on those topics.

I study as often as I can. We work 24hr shifts, so there is always some down time to "hit the books". I enjoy reading ( always have ) so it comes easy to me. True, it can be sometimes tedious and monotonous, If I want to obtain my medic certification, that is what I have to do.

I try and set aside some quiet time in the sleeping quarters and for the most part, my partners respect that. Look, I have never been a straight A student. I have to work hard to pass the exams. I do it because I want to. Besides, except for Nip/Tuck on Tuesdays and Grey's Anatomy on Thursdays, there's not much to watch on the idiot box. :D

I too probably study at least a minimal of one to two hours a day, by reading a journal, review a study or read a chapter or two (EMS)... other medical related I study another 2 or so..

I was taught, that it was part of the obligation of being in the business one has to study daily, to be competent.

R/r 911

I study on the forums. I read the websites, I talk to Doctors and nurses. Books if im feeling nosy, but not too much beyond that really.

Forums are a great tool for your education, just use them right.

That's what my life is ...

With the number of medications that are introduced daily, you have to just to maintain your base knowledge.

Meds that I've not run across before get looked up, then of course the conditions they are used for if I'm not sure about them.

www.Idon'thavethefoggiestclue.com.edu

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.