Search and rescue dogs

michalism4

I live in wilkesboro NC (If any one knows where that is) and I have 2 dogs that I want to get into search and rescue, but I have no clue if there are any places around where they can be trained. Does any one know of a place near wilkes county where I can get these dogs trained?

yeah. Search and rescue dogs are a great help. well, they help with the searching and you have to do the rescuing of course but they can smell better than we can! My dad's neighbor has 4 S&R dogs. They have actually found people. It's really neat. He had my go out in to the woods, as far as I wanted to to. He asked me to back track a time or two. I went pretty far out and climbed a tree and the dog found me. It was awesome!

I own a SAR dog, which I retired this past month due to age and injuries. It was certified through our police service and we have attended calls for both searching for people (both alive and dead) and evidence. You may want to check with the police service if you don't get answers anywhere else and they may be able to direct you in the right direction. It is a lot of work, but incredibly rewarding, and you meet excellent people as well. Go for it!

as a start point chat to your dads neighbour ... as ya said hes already involved

talk to the local (or nearest) search n rescue group

generally you become involved in the group and find out what its about and it is you who will be training your own animals ... with help/direction from someone who is skilled in the area

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.