confederate flag

matt

what do you think about displaying the confederate flag?  

69 members have voted

1. 1.

• it's racist and it offends me
    • it's a sign of southern pride

For a Canadian perspective...

I do know about US history...bloody violent and tragic. The Civil War it seems is something that though horrible, Americans seem to hold onto with a strange reverence. Especially with the use of the Rebel flag. I have always equated it with the hillbilly type good ol boy attitudes (that seem to go hand in hand with a lower education level) and the KKK.

Flags are a representation of pride and nationality. Look at your Avtar...most have a flag of where they are or are from. Nothing wrong with that. For most it is a symbol. If you want to equate yourself with something that is or was a symbol of racism (not to mention the loosing side) fly at her. To each their own.

I have a maple leaf tattooed on my body (guess where) and the flag on my flight suit, as a symbol of pride. No where can you say that it stands for anything negative in all of history.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

violence is considered bad by the general standard of society

hockey is violent

therefore the mapleleaf stands for something bad

anybody can dislike what you do or say or wear for whatever reason they choose, thats what freedom is all about. but people forget they have the ability to turn the other cheek.

having a rebel flag in your window my offend someone. they have two choices, they can look and be offended, or they can look away and not.

in the US unless you are a hypocrite of the percieved freedoms we enjoy, those are your only two options.

It is offensive to a clansman to see an african flag on someones window. does that mean that flag too needs to go?

they both represent something a person takes pride in.

they both are a part of society.

freedom has certain requirements. one of which is that if you want your beliefs to be accepted, you have to do the same.

me, personally, I like the pink floyd crossed hammers symbol from the Wall.

Little did I know that it is a symbol of racism, I found this out right after the LA riots way back when.

Yet again Punk you live up to your handle......

If that is your idea of rationalization Hockey = Violence = CANADA then you have a very interesting view from your room on the ward.

Well then since the Klan is an American born thing then America must be the most racist country on the planet. I would bet that the klansmen would most likely do something about,or to, the African flag in the car window and its owner instead of just turning away.

We see many 'symbols' in our society that mean one thing to some and something completely different to others. Many symbols youth of today use are violent, racist, sexist, demeaning, negative, hurtful, and cruel. Where does most of todays pop culture take its mark from? The good ol USA. Hmmm.

Now do I believe that all Americans are inhumane people? No. Do I think that you are shining example of what is an American? We will see in your reply.

Wow this turned into a very heated discussion very quickly! Ok well speaking as someone from the south, the confederate flag should represent southern pride, but the reality of the situation is most people equate the confederacy with racism since slavery was the hot button issue of the civil war. So does the confederate flag represent racism or southern pride? well that's all in the eye of the beholder-we, the viewer, give the symbol the meaning not the person displaying it. The meaning in symbols is all in how you perceive it. And I agree with Punk; if you don't like it, don't look at it.

I would bet that the klansmen would most likely do something about,or to, the African flag in the car window and its owner instead of just turning away.

and yeah the klansmen would probably do something not just walk away, but that's what makes them low, foul, hateful people who will probably burn in hell.

With the source not remembered, I recall reading somewhere, that the swastika with the arms reversed was supposed to be a Native American emblem. It was actually used by the Boy Scouts of America, as the "Order of the White Swastika" but with the advent of the use by the Nazi Party, was changed to the current "Order of the Arrow.

With the source not remembered, I recall reading somewhere, that the swastika with the arms reversed was supposed to be a Native American emblem. It was actually used by the Boy Scouts of America, as the "Order of the White Swastika" but with the advent of the use by the Nazi Party, was changed to the current "Order of the Arrow.

Further, there is a post office in Philadelphia (I think, that's where I was when I saw it on the news anyway) that has that same symbol (swastika with the arms reversed) inlaid in tile in the floor. They, too, traced it back to a local native symbol.

The O/A was wrought about by National council as an umbrella for all honor camper societies. My Council had the Tribe of Talako, which turned int Talako Lodge. The Fylfot, or swastika, has been traced as a sun emblem back for thousands of years, used in some form by almost every culture. Too bad some sick maniac took all that history away. Also, you won't find may Adolphs around these days. Anyhoo, a symbol is what you let it be. If a symbol offends you, it has power over you. I have a strong southern heritage, but I will not fly the battle colors.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.