confederate flag

matt

what do you think about displaying the confederate flag?  

69 members have voted

1. 1.

• it's racist and it offends me
    • it's a sign of southern pride

OK, we were having an argument about this in our EMT class because one of my classmates has a confederate flag decal across his back windshield. i believe the confederate flag is just a sign of southern pride. its just a way of saying i was born in the south and I'm proud of it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I don't have a problem with it.....at least when it is displayed by a southern. We have a lot of rednecks and white trash around here who display them as though they are from the proud state of Georgia or something. They seem to forget that Indiana fought on the side of the Union (at least most did).

I know some blacks find it offensive and I guess I could understand that. I guess it would be similar to my take as a person of German descent on the Nazi flag- to me that banner implies nothing more than the person waving it is a worthless POS excuse for a human being who needs their head kicked in. I guess I don't have a problem with the Confederate flag because the Confederates were not wholesale slaughtering people, simply enslaving them (which is still really no better, just more publicly acceptable). But like I said I personally don't see a problem with the Rebel Flag, but I know a lot of people automatically deduct 100 IQ points from the IQ of anyone displaying one because of prejudicial beliefs.

By the way, in the interest of full disclosure, the non-German side of my family fought for the South in the Civil War.

What I can't understand is that that wasn't even the official flag of the confederacy. But anyways.....One half of my family fled the Nazi's and fought against them, the other side fought against each other in the civil war. Most of the confederate soldiers didn't even own slaves, they were just fighting for their states rights, and the union fought for nations rights its too complex to say in one sentence......

I think the real concern should not be what is being displayed, but rather the intention of the person displaying it.

If the person flying a Confederate flag is a bigoted racist then I think I have a problem with it. If it's just someone who is proud to have southern roots, then I don't have a problem with it.

It's like George Carlin said when he spoke about "bad language": "It's not the words we should be concerned with. It's the racist bigoted a--hole we need to be concerned about."

First off, I am born southern, have lived in the south all my life, and am damn proud of it. I dont have a problem with the confederate flag or it being flown above the capital buildings in any southern state. Does this make me a racist?? Well, lets look at some facts......

My boss is BLACK.

The EMS director before him was BLACK.

Their boss is BLACK.

Roughly 90 percent of the people I provide care to are BLACK.

Over half of my coworkers are BLACK.

The city I work in is majority BLACK.

My uniform pants, belt , boots, and cap are BLACK.

Oh, the shirt is Grey, not WHITE. Our tee-shirts we wear for night calls--BLACK.

Some of the people I have the most respect for are BLACK.

So, with all this BLACK in my daily life, do I seem to be racist JUST because I happen to be proud of my southern HERITAGE??

I agree, slavery was WRONG, INHUMANE . But was I there? Were my children there? Were my parents or grandparents there?? No, No, and No.

So now what am I to do? Wear my pants 2 sizes too big, hanging below the crack of my ass with my boxers freely visible to anyone who is within seeing distance of me? Oh, I just love the idea of having to hold my pants up just to walk across the damn room..

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Medic64 I don't really understand what your point is.

I think it is to walk on very thin ice to argue that the measure of how racist/offensive anything is depends on who is displaying the item. To me, the confederate flag is most closely associated with slavery and extreme hate. Not to mention the fact that nobody except the flag-displayer himself knows if he is a racist or a "Southern pride" person, so it can be offensive either way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.