Lidocaine for PEA (EMD) or Aystole???

Firejeep3

:scratch: A service I work for part-time had a refresher, the instructor said that Lidocaine was an option in the treatment of PEA and Aystole as a second round drug. Has anyone else ever heard of this?? Is their instructor reading something into the the ACLS guidelines that I missed ?? Or is the instructor in need of some lessons. Worst part is there are medics new and old that believe him because he is the "cool" old-timer. Maybe I am wrong but I think he is wrong. Let me know.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, unless this is something new, this wasn't was I was taught....

I was told ATROPINE for PEA of less than 60 beats per minute, and ATROPINE for asystole.

Lidocaine is gradually falling out of favor here in Nova Scotia. We're only allowed to give it post-arrest if ROSC and if the patient is experiencing runs of VT.

And of course, monomorphic VT with a pulse....it's a first line drug here.

Maybe your instructor got things mixed up, in any case, somebody should correct him as to what he's teaching his students, because it's WRONG!

Lidocaine is not indicated for Aystole/PEA. EVER.

It can be considered upon return of spontaneous circulation, but not a moment before.

Perhaps you didn't hear the instructor right otherwise he is an idiot. Lidocaine has no place in the treatment of PEA or asystole under any version of ACLS guidelines current or past.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

Why didn't he go the whole hog and suggest good 'ol Bretylium as well? Methinks this is one teacher that should hang up his gown pretty soon.

(I'll never forget that great line in the film " Flatliners" - "No, don't give him Bretylium; he'll fry". Why didn't someone ask: " How you want him, medium rare?")

WM

I have taken ACLS since its first conception and Lidocaine has never been indicated in PEA (EMD) or Aystole situations. Calcium Chloride was at one time was indicated for electrical mechanical dissociation (EMD/PEA) and Isuprel, Na HC03, for Aystole, other than that medications have basically remained the same.

R/r 911

I thought the instructor was way off base and it scared me to hear some of the others repeating his fantasy ACLS, so I talked to the lead ACLS instructor and program director. Now I am just waiting to see if the instructor will correct his mistakes or we get a new instructor. I can not fault someone for making a mistake, but I can not believe so many would follow his mistake without question. No one learns from history.