New AHA CPR training. Do you like?

shade

We do CPR training for numerous groups and individuals, as well, as in the local schools. Course the new guidelines developed by AHA, we had to update our videos/dvd's. I'm sure that other EMS agencies do the training and I would like to know what your opinion is of the material? I am very disappointed that they do not do very much on children and that choking is a "just mention" anymore. We are developing our own system/style to address these items in class, but the students prefer the practice with the dvd format. They seem to skip around and not follow any order to the presentation. I think the practice as the dvd plays is a good tool. But then they switch to scenarios that are difficult, it seems, for the students to get into. Anyone else seem to think it may have been produced with very little thought??

I teach the new protocol under ASHI, and I personally think the new protocols are harder to follow for "seasoned" healthcare providers, as some of the changes almost seem counter-intuitive. For the lay-rescuer this is new protocol must be a god-send, but I have yet to teach such a course, we are still trying to get all of our EMTs updated first. The other pain is getting all of our AEDs reprogrammed to match the new protocols.

(end rant) :)

-skibum

We do CPR training for numerous groups and individuals, as well, as in the local schools. Course the new guidelines developed by AHA, we had to update our videos/dvd's. I'm sure that other EMS agencies do the training and I would like to know what your opinion is of the material? I am very disappointed that they do not do very much on children and that choking is a "just mention" anymore. We are developing our own system/style to address these items in class, but the students prefer the practice with the dvd format. They seem to skip around and not follow any order to the presentation. I think the practice as the dvd plays is a good tool. But then they switch to scenarios that are difficult, it seems, for the students to get into. Anyone else seem to think it may have been produced with very little thought??

I am with you on this one....I dont really like the changes but have to adjust to them....email me about the the way you all are adapting yours for the kids and the choking ......we can compare notes on it i am working on ways to do the same so .......two heads are better than one.....but I will probally get used to teaching it this way and they will change it again :roll: :roll: :roll:

and skibum i did one class for lay-people and it was easier for them I think....but the "Older" people are not as receptive to change as the ones that have never had it ......

later

Terri

1073-1.gif

The guidelines themselves aren't too bad, but the way they were presented for the instructors to use left a lot to be desired.

Once you can get these providers that have renewed the credential a couple of times to understand why the changes were made, they aren't so difficult to convince. The biggest problem I've seen is fighting through the dogma that many have clung to from previous versions.

They've been out for almost a year, and some just don't want to consider changing what they are doing. The fact that most of the changes have been well publicized for the last 3-4 years, tells me that some of the providers and instructors need to re-evaluate why they are doing patient care.