how about doctors on an ambulance?

BUDS189

here in Thailand, well in Bangkok anyway. They dont have EMT's. On the ambulance there is a doctor and a driver, thats it. what are your thoughts on this? is it a good idea? i hate it, and currently working with them to train EMT's but it will take some time. the average response time is about 20 min... or more. and the doctros has no experience on MVA extrications manuvers. they take blood samples and stuff on the ambulace and spend alot of time on scene becasue he thinks he can make the ambulance into a hospital. i am just getting fed up with the closed minded way they take EMS. Its just not an important issue for them. MVA deaths are very high here by the way, they only have a recommened speed limit. little scooter meets a pick up at 80 miles an hour... NASTY stuff folks. cheers!

Anthony

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This all sounds like another good reason to continue eating at my favorite home town Thai restaurant while never entertaining the idea of actually visiting Thailand unless of course we invade them too...

No way would I want a MD on the back of the truck with me.......already have too many medics trying to play MD ... :roll: :roll: :roll: ....cant imagine a real one on the truck OMG just asking for trouble.....

later

Terri

1073-1.gif

Part of the emergency medicine residency program here is a couple of MD ride alongs with us fun folks, so we actually get to have a doctor on board now and then. Without fail, it has been a pleasurable experience, the doctors have always been polite and down to earth, and they always walk away with a better understanding of what it is that we do in the field. The MD's are strictly there as observers, and we still run the show, but its still great to have them along.

Like asys, I have had residents do ride-alongs once in awhile. They are always great, no problems that I can remember, they normally stay out of the way though unless we tell them to do something particular. Here is the US it would not be the best use of resources to have an physician on every transport.

Noah

Even if it were a good idea it would be completely unfeasable to have even one doctor on one ambulance arround here. We are suffering from so many rural ER closures due to lack of doctors its not even funny. Actually when they can't find a doctor we post an ambulance to the hospital and the paramedics run the show.

So perhaps once we get all the ERs staffed with doctors we can think about the ambulances.... :D

We don't have Doc's with us on our vehicles in the UK, but there is a national voluntary organisation called BASIC's (British Assoc. of Immediate Care) which is staffed by family Dr's (GP's) or other doc's with a special interest in pre-hospital care who work alongside the ambulance service. They are alerted to jobs by ambulance control either because of the nature of the call or as a request from the crew on scene and are generally utilised for additional pain relief or to perform RSI.

As for having them on the vehicles permanently, I would have to say no as there simply aren't enough calls where they would be needed.

Incidentally in England the powers that be are looking into removing paramedics from ambulances and putting them in FRV's as apparently only 10% of all emergency calls require paramedic interventions, and the rest can be perfectly well dealt with by EMT's.

these Dr's here run the show on the ambulance, the driver is just that, a driver, he doesnt do anything except driving, the Dr's is there alone basically. 35 mins to the scene, no one moves out of the way of an ambulance here. they really make no attempt to improve on the standard for EMS.

No way would I want a MD on the back of the truck with me.......already have too many medics trying to play MD ... :roll: :roll: :roll: ....cant imagine a real one on the truck OMG just asking for trouble.....

later

Terri

1073-1.gif

Talk about watching the on scene time go down the crapper. I see doctors in the ER take 5 hours for a broken arm I would hate to see how long they would take in the field. The only thing I could imagine them being good for in making it easily by way of idoits with no "real" emergency outside of needing attention not needing transport. Other then that they would be in the way and a pain in the hindend