What I have seen done

For my basic class the instructor would ask questions around the class before class just to see what the knowlege level was. After class he asked same question to see how many were grasping the information he presented. Sometimes it got pretty funny and if student didn't understand example or something then some of us might figure another example. It worked very well and we had

awesome class. The instructor for pharmacology would do pop quiz on info supposed to be read before class. If he asked question and you weren't even close he'd ask if you read material. If you said yes you got different question. If you said no or missed 2nd question you were sent home and told to read info before you'd be allowed into class. several people missed 2nd or 3rd nites of class due to not reading. This same teacher also gave pretty good reviews for test. He'd tell you what drug and you'd have to figure dosage etc.(different levels on test but same type of drug). It was pretty interesting and I learned a lot