What I have seen done

I helped an instructor once with his class. I was amazed at his technique. At the end of every class, there was a verbal quiz. He would go around the room, in order, once you answered 5 questions correct you got to go home. If you were wrong, it moved to the next person, same question. Boy it sure helped a lot of the students and pushed them to learn what they didn't know. I think it is an excellent technique for teaching the EMT students.

I like that, incentive to learn.

I didnt know whether it would be overkill to have a 20 question test at the beginning of class covering what is to be learned that nite, followed by a repeat of the test at the end of class to see if anything was learned. I might try it sometime, but I wonder if its too much.

I tried a new approach to help EMT student to learn to focus their attention & learn to deal with stress. I would give a pop test, before each class.

Music was played during the test.... & the test was timed; starting at 60 seconds. Each week the music changed progressive from soothing classical to hard rock & the time got shorter & volume increased each time. The final was a tape of an EMS call with the sirens etc.. & the radio chattering in the background. The last test question was "What was the physician order on the tape"?

I was surprised on many students claimed that this helped them on clinicals, filtering out extra noise & focusing on things.

Just a thought.. no this score did not change students outcome.

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

In our Program, I always set up two testing rooms for my students..

One for the more traditional testers.... quiet room, take the test and go..

and one room is set up for the non-traditional testers.... I use soft music and an instructor who can "float" to answer questions. I like the idea first posted though...

I think I'll try that answering quetions to go home thing... see how it goes.

I really think it helped the students with the questions to go home. It is more like a game than a quiz. Once you get into the skills, then you can have them have to perform a skill before they can go home. Let me know what your students think of it.

• 10 months later...

Now there's a name I remember well.

He taught my medic refresher course. Some of his scenarios are legendary.

He's a true gem among instructors.

Unfortunately some have said he is very biased against ems'rs who do not work for his service.

He's one of the best instructors I've ever had the pleasure of taking classes from. He's forgotten more about EMS than most people know.

Bob was my Paramedic Instructor (before I got injured)... he is a HUGE vessel of knowledge and his teaching style (which he has labeled "edutainment") is renowned. I encourage you to visit his multilead medics site to review his technique.