Hare/Sager/KTD/??

NNJEMT

Time to get some new equipment ... have old Hare's that need to be replaced. Use Sagers when working as a ski patroller, use Hare's for EMS. Right now, I'm leaning toward Sagers, but am looking for some other opinions to help my squad make an informed decision on the new equipment.

I highly recommend the KTD.

Pros:

1. It is cost efficient.

2. It is compact/lightweight. Takes up about 12 inches by 6 inches by 4 inches when it is stowed away.

3. Very easy to use and just as effective as the others.

4. Easy to be trained on and the color coding makes it idiot proof.

5. One size fits all.

6. Setup time is a few seconds, application in under a minute.

Think about how often you actually use a traction splint. Do you want a device that takes up space, costs more and requires 2 different sizes so you can treat all age groups...or do you want one stop shopping?

Cons:

You can not splint both legs like a sager, but again how often is this needed.

Other than that, I really do not have too much negativity about the KTD. I have carried it for 4 years and used it 3 times. Loved it!

It depends greatly on what your needs are. Do you want the best product? The cheapest? Whatever will pass inspection?

Hare: IMVHO this provides the best traction and is the most comfortable for the patient. My personal choice. Harder to use and set up than some others

Sager: Much easier to apply. If I get trax splint duiring a skills station I will pick the Sager. Although perfectly adequate, I don't think it does as good a job as the Hare. My$.02

KTD: Never took it seriously. If I needed something to carry in a pack until help arrived, it should be fine. Likewise, if the DOH recognizes it and I'm running a private transport service with Type IIs, I would be very tempted. Otherwise, not my cup of tea.

PS: In 17 years I've used a traction splint 3 times. 1st time all we had was a Hare. Last 2 I had both Sager and Hare available and went Hare both times.

It depends greatly on what your needs are. Do you want the best product? The cheapest? Whatever will pass inspection?

Hare: IMVHO this provides the best traction and is the most comfortable for the patient. My personal choice. Harder to use and set up than some others

Sager: Much easier to apply. If I get trax splint duiring a skills station I will pick the Sager. Although perfectly adequate, I don't think it does as good a job as the Hare. My$.02

KTD: Never took it seriously. If I needed something to carry in a pack until help arrived, it should be fine. Likewise, if the DOH recognizes it and I'm running a private transport service with Type IIs, I would be very tempted. Otherwise, not my cup of tea.

PS: In 17 years I've used a traction splint 3 times. 1st time all we had was a Hare. Last 2 I had both Sager and Hare available and went Hare both times.

You just validated my statements with regards to the KTD. In 17 years you have used a traction splint 3 times... why waste the space and cost on something used so infrequently, plus you state Hare provides best traction and most comfort for the patient. How did you come to this conclusion? Did the pt tell you so cause they have broken their femurs befoe and had different types applied and actually know the difference or is this antecdotal biased information? By your own own admission, you have never used the KTD, yet you can speak negatively of it. KTD works as effectiely as the har and is easy and compact. No I am not a salesman, just believe in makig and keeping some things simple, especially on a skill we hardly ever use.

The BC Ambulance Service in British Columbia, Canada uses the SAGER exclusively. Why? Because the SAGER was invented by one of our own back in the 70's. He and his brother still work for us. Doug sold the patent to Minto and they have improved on it.

The SAGER is one of the best traction devices out there. Keeps the leg anatomically aligned. Traction is quantified and can be adjusted at anytime.

The KTD if you look at it is based on the SAGER. The only difference is the way the traction is applied and maintained. It is great for situations where space is a limitation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.